Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Guy with a Philco.

Hi everyone. my name is Rich (LocoStereo) and I reside in upstate NY in a town called Saratoga NY. I am an electrician, musician, and an audiophile. I love vintage stereo stuff form the 70's and early 80's. I just recently obtained a Philco 42-323 that was my late Grandfathers. It had not been ran in probably 25yrs, as it was stored atop of a dresser. I got it home cleaned it all up and it came out absolutely beautiful. And it works just as well as it looks. I believe 4/6 tubes are original, and all of the caps are original as well. I think the fact that it was stored in a dry climate added yrs to it. The only problem that I see, and it's cosmetic is the black paint on the back of the dial indicator lens. It is flacking off, and I was wondering if a replacement could be found, or if there was a repair that could be done. I have tried to find some info on the radio, and from I found it was produced June, July of 1941, and was the new model for 1942. As far as I know, there were only 10k made. If anybody has any info on the 42-323 I would appreciate it. I did a search on my model here in the forum, and to my surprise there was nothing listed. Thanks for welcoming me in!

Rich

Hi Rich
Nice radio. Post up some pictures if you can. I'm from Union-Endicott (Binghamton) but currently in Tucson, AZ. I inherited a 1940 Philco 40-180. There is alot of knowledgeable people here. Have fun with it.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=783
Take care
Buce

Thanks Buce! This seems like a fun hobby to get into. I just bought a 42-pt7 for 13 bucks on Ebay. I plan to do a restoration job on it. I have cleaned it all up so it's nice and perty, and will handle the the tech, stuff this week. I downloaded schematics last night. I need to get some good books about basic electronics, followed up by a zillion questions that I am sure I will post here.