Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My New Westinghouse

Westinghouse and GE made many RCA sets through the 30's.

Paul

Tubetalk1

It's a Canadian RCA Victor, made in Montreal, probably a model A-33 from around 1939-40. Canadian Westinghouse made sets with chassis of their own design, those are completely different from Canadian RCA sets in those years, the near market equivalent in the Canadian Westinghouse lineup would be an 1182X, which had five bands and motorized tuning.
Regards
Arran

A very interesting set! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Agree with Brenda in that there IS a lot to DX on shortwave.

Basically, broadcast on the higher frequencies (lower wavelengths) are prevalent during the day and broadcast on the lower frequencies (higher wavelengths) are prevalent at night. Here in NC I regularly get Voice of Russia, RCI (Radio China), Radio Romania, Radio Havana. Less frequently I receive BBC, Radio Albania, Radio Teipei, and Radio Tokyo. SOMETIMES between 0100-0400 in the morning I get stations from Australia and New Zealand that broadcast vic 9MHz to 13MHz.

HOWEVER, you will find exceptions to this rule. The thing to do is tune in at different times of day on the different bands and log what you receive for future reference.

With a GOOD antenna you will also find more selections on the regular AM Broadcast band, especially at night.