Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott philly radio

I bought this rare 33 tube Scott a couple weeks back. This one should be fun to restore.

Attached Files Image(s)

How great. We just need some more (lots of pictures) so we can drool on it. Never had the courage or the money to restore one but very nice. Close up of the chassis/cabinet/amp would be very nice. I have done a number of the post war ones.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Very nice, and ditto for more pictures!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I have both courage and money....I don't have any sold nearby.

And...yeah, I am drooling. A large puddle is forming near the keyboard. I need to go away from the screen for some time now.

These Scott sets are beautys. My 800B's don't have as many tubes, but they are definately a fusion of art and technology. Not the easiest to work on, but worth every minute put into them.

Thanks for the replies!

I've actually had the chassis for a year and was waiting for the cabinet that was going to be made into a wine cabinet! The two chassis and tweeters almost made it into the trash. This cabinet showed up before I could get the fancy wine cabinet that was taken 1000 miles North by the ladies daughter. This is the same exact cabinet as the one that I've been wanting to pick up.
The radio now has both chassis, a crossover and the tweeters. The tweeters are only used when listening to FM. The chrome is nice...just very dirty. Has a sort of film on it that I need to clean off. I need a woofer for it and it was the standard type....not a pedestal type. If anyone has a speaker I'd be interested in it! It has to have a good cone as they can't be reconed.

Brenda you are right. The Scott's are very well built and a thing of beauty. I bet this thing will be a great performer when done.

I started looking into getting the two chassis working last week. I have a good friend who is a retired electrical engineer. He suggested I replace all the caps (to save him time) and then he will check it all out and do anything it needs and the alignment. He really knows his radios and told me the alignment on the high tube count Scotts are best done by someone with the correct equipment and training. I'll attempt others but he is right on this radio. He has a "wall" of very expensive high-end test equipment as he designed RF circuits for a military contractor. He checked out some coils and the transformers and explained the correct way to align this. He went on saying he rejects many tubes as well ( even if NOS) but he kinda lost me early on.

Here's a photo of the two chassis. It's too dark to get more photos of the cabinet right now but I will. You can see the cabinet sitting behind the Philco I bought a couple days back (it is under the Philco home radio section)

Attached Files Image(s)

Outstanding!!!!

GREAT project, looking forward to hearing about your progress!!

Thank you! It should be a great player when finished Icon_smile