Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE model G106 console.

This was offered to me out of the blue today, though I still have to finish paying for it due to money being tight. Appears complete and seems to be a rare radio. Definitely has geeky gadget appeal! As you can see, I now have to stop until I possibly sell some radios back out of the collection. I am out of room! Icon_crazy

No matter where you go, there you are.

Kewl looking set!!! I'd buy it too and I don't any space left either.
Terry

Thanks!
I brought it up slowly on the bulbs this evening and was actually able to manually tune in WJER, though the sound is rather tinny right now and things obviously need gone through. Still, it is encouraging! Now... all that dried out rubber wire... Icon_eek

Is that TRS-80 Model III?

One of these G-106s turned up a month ago at a Seattle thrift. I went to take a look although I had no intention to buy. Pure geek gadget, yes! Very solidly built set!

Yep, that is a TRS-80 model III. Works, but the disk drives won't read.

This radio does seem well built and from what I can tell, isn't exactly common to find.

That's a 1938 model I think, G.E used a lettering systems to denote model year, I have a Canadian G.E that's a H-86, a 1939 model using an identical chassis to a Canadian RCA model A-6. The American G.Es used different chassis but the dating system was pretty much the same. It's a matter of personal preference of course but I also think that Canadian G.E sets also had nicer cabinets then either their American G.E counterparts or their Canadian RCA clones.
I think that the disks you speak of use two metal haves separated by an insulated strip do they not?
Regards
Arran

Congratulations Jayce!

That is indeed a rare model. GE's top of the line for 1938. The clock timer allows you to set a start time, go to a preselected station listen for however long you want, in 15 minute increments. It will then change stations automatically and even turn itself off when you want.

I found one of these three years ago in the next town over. I have recapped it, and resleeved a ton of the disintegrating rubber wire. I have a problem now that I have obviously created. The set did play when I got it, but now my rectifier glows bright red, so I must have a cap in backwards.

The other thing with mine is the clock timer assembly with not operate properly. I believe the brass rod is slightly bent and stops the clock when the rod tries to move along the rod.

When I got mine there was only ONE picture of this model on the internet.
I have since uploaded pics to RM.

If I can supply any pics you may need PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Gene

Hey, thanks Gene. I'll PM you if I need any pictures. Icon_smile I have know about this radio for I think roughly 4 years at least. Can't remember when I first met the guy up in Canton, Ohio, but I can remember lifting the top lid and amazing at this set then. I can also remember having no luck finding another example either online or in the wild. It had actually slipped my mind for the most part until I had it offered to me yesterday.

Nice score Jayce! I love the lines of this radio. Should be a great player once you give it a thorough going over.