Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482 alignment

Probably the first of several alignment questions.  My 48-482 is finally recapped, back together and playing.  I'm reading the AM alignment info and step 1 is to connect the signal generator to through a 0.1 mf cap to the "stator of ant. section of tuning gang."  The stator being the fixed plates, I think the connection I need to make is either lug #1 or # 2 in the following photo but am not sure which one. Help? Thanks!!
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rojese3iq43nys....jpg?raw=1]

Schematic @ http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/637/M0013637.htm

Antenna section is #2, oscillator is #1

( edited to correct error)

Thanks Mondial!

Sorry klondike, but I gave you incorrect information. I was thinking of the FM sections of the tuning cap, where the ant section is closest to the front panel. I just checked my own 48-482 and the AM sections are reversed ( at least on mine).

So the osc section is closest to the front panel and the ant section is toward the back. #1 is osc and #2 is ant. I have edited my previous post to correct the error.

Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks Mondial, no worries. Had not been back to work on it yet. Help me understand how you could tell which was which, I kept looking at the schematic but just could not sort it out.

I checked it by tuning in a station at the high end of the band and then touching my finger to each terminal.

When you touch the osc section it will detune the station off frequency and your finger capacity may even tune it to the nearest lower freq station.

When you touch the ant section, the station stays tuned on freq but the signal and/or noise level will vary.

It is a bit odd that Philco reversed the order of the AM and FM sections of the tuning cap. Since the AM ant and osc sections are wired directly to the band switch, they could have just as easily kept AM and FM consistent. Usually in other radios they correspond in order.

Try it yourself and see of your set is wired the same as mine.

Thanks for the lesson! I'll give it a try.