Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco cathedrals- Where does the 19b fit in?

I have a line on an original model 19b cathedral that I think I can get for $100. I already have a 118b, a 60, 70, and a 90 cathedral, and Im trying to figure out how the 19B fits into the lineage. This style seems very different from the 70 and 90. Is it just in the styling of the cabinet or is there something more significant about it?

The 19B cabinet is the smallest of the Clyde Shuler designed cabinets the same style as the 16B, 18B, 71B etc. The chassis is a six tube virtually the same as the 89. For $100 you better jump right on it.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

For its size, its a very good performing radio. With an RF stage and AVC, AM reception is comparable to the 118B you already have. The 118B has the edge in audio performance with its class AB triode output, compared to the single 42 pentode of the 19B.

If its in nice shape it is definitely worth having, and its comparatively compact size is a plus.

Think I will go after it tomorrow. Im off work so the short drive will not be a problem. I like that the style is different from my other cathedrals.

The 19 also has the shadowmeter. I have one and it is a very nice set!
Kevin

I would expect that its about the size of a 60b cathedral?

Pretty close.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Well, it followed me home. It was on CL for 5 weeks at $140 OBO. The guy was quick to take my $100 offer. Code 123 chassis.
Doesnt look too bad at all. Im hoping I can save the original finish. It is intact, but has a good bit of age cracking on the top and sides. Maybe try some of the Shlagle Sauce ive heard about? Looks like the original cloth cord and plug-still in excellent condition.
Preliminary inspection shows a 36 tube with a broken off grid cap, and a power switch that isnt functioning. At least I hope its the power switch as I get open when checking the transformer primary resistance with a DVM.
We will see....

I have one there nice radios yours is in really good condition its my favorite stile of cathedral radio sounds good.

Even better with the tuning knob up top where it belongs! Icon_shifty

Turns out the reason I couldnt get a reading off the plug prongs was because one of the leads was broken off under the plug. Fixed that and get good resistance reading off the primary winding. The switch work too. Good to move forward.
I took the cabinet down and gave it one shot of GoJo. It amazes me how much crud that stuff takes off a cabinet. I dont see me refinishing this one.

That cabinet is in VERY acceptable condition! I would not refinish it either.

Recommend taking a long browse through this site, especially with respect to the various models and when they were produced.

This site is the most complete reference for all things Philco. AND Chuck's site Philco Repair Bench has additional excellent Philco info.

I ALWAYS see and learn something new when I browse both of these sites.

In fact, I would "guestimate" that perhaps half of the questions asked here are answered either here or in the repair-bench site.

Gorgeous cabinet! Congratulations.

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Finished this one up tonight. I ended up replacing the 1st IF trans and the shadow meter coil. Wish I had some better grill clothe (original is like the 90 uses), but this will do for now. Nice to be able to keep the original finish.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice job! That is a beautiful radio. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Craig R.