Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-190 resistor

We as restorers take a lot for granted, with the availability of NOS tubes, repro parts, capacitors small enough to restuff originals, etc. It hasn't been all that long that none of this was available at any price.

Hi Brenda,
I think you must be right.
The electrolitics look fairly old as well.
I either have to figure out how to reverse engineer it, or look for a usable chassis.
Thanks for the input.
murf

Hey Murf,
There is a 40-190 chassis on Ebay right now. It's at $40.00 and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Maybe worth a look!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Philco-4019...1235434388

Just looked at it--there appears to be a 7- or 8-pin socket where the 5-pin rectifier socket should be... am I mistaken?

Apears to me that the rectifier tube is gone on this one too.
Also is an 8 pin socket like Deck Ape said.
Wonder if it belonged to the same guy that modified mine?
Getting a little leary about this one.
Appears to be another modified chassis.

Yeah, you're right, it's an octal socket. I wonder if someone modified it to run a 5Y3 or 5Y4 tube? I would contact the seller and ask him for pictures of the underside to see how buggered up it is. too bad as it looked pretty clean.
Kevin

Hello guy's and gals,
Well, I received a diagram from deckape of the wiring on that 84 tube in question.
He has one that he has restored and is quite familiar with this model.
I removed the diodes as well as the dogbone resistor and wired the electrolitic per the diagram.
The second electrolitic had a second 30uf/250 volt electrolitic wired in parallel with the second electrolitic, which should not be there.
Removed that as well.
Powers up fine, but still no audio.
Output transformer?
I will keep wittling away on this thing with the help of the forum people and maybe we can save it.
Thanks for the help,
murf

What makes you suspect the output transformer?

Do you have B+ voltage on the plates and screen grids of the 41 output tubes? If you have around 180 V on the screens but nothing on the plates, then the transformer is open. If you have the 180V on neither or on both, then the transformer is not the problem and you will have to look elsewhere.

Do all the other tubes have B+ on them? If not, then the speaker field might be open.

Have not checked voltages yet.
It's on the list though.
Tranny is just a hunch.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks

Found a model 40-180.
Will pick it up next week.
Should be similar other than the fact that it is short 1 tube.
Wish me luck.
murf

Suerte!