Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 030 Dynamic Tester

I am currently working on a Philco Model 030 Dynamic Tester. One cap was easily accessible, tested and needs replacement leading me to want to replace the four more that I can make out along with an electrolytic underneath the small chassis of this unit. My problem is the long bolts with 1/4 " (an assumption but they look like they myriad others Philco used)hex nuts holding it in being of such a length that I none of drivers are deep enough and no approach from the side is possible. Philco I'm sure had a tool designed for this. Anyone have any ideas? I may be missing an easy solution as well! Thanks.

I think you are saying that you can't get a normal nut driver over the bolt because the bolt is too long, correct? If so you have a couple of options. You can try to locate a hollow 1/4" nut driver at your local hardware store. This style has a hole in the back of the nut cavity and allows the bolt to slide up into the shaft. You could also use a 1/4" deep well socket. If the socket still isn't deep enough, take off the ratchet handle and let the bolt stick through the end of the socket, then grab the socket with some needle nose pliers. It should give you enough grip to break the nut loose.

Thanks jontz! It turned out the magnet inside the socket of the 1/4 " driver had broken in two and would not let the nut seat! It felt like 2+2 had always equaled 4 but today it equaled 9.... pulled out the broken pieces and was fine.! Thanks again.

Don't know that I helped all that much, but glad you figured it out! Icon_smile

Yes...and did get the 030 Tester working and have used it a couple times...interesting piece of gear...odd holding a lit tube in your hand on the probe.