Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Time, Sayin Hi and Questios.

8)

This is my first post so I thought I would start off with a little about myself. Then the radios I own and last but not least I have a couple of questions on four radios I am looking at. Can not afford to buy all "money, wife Icon_wink" so need to pick one or two.

I am a late forties baby who was deeply into electronics growing up. Vacuum tubes with a little of transistors. Then due to life got away from all things electronic in nature. Of course I did one of the biggest things a kid can due to harm old radios. I torn them apart. I used to buy them at the Salvation Army in Seattle for .25 to tops of one dollar. Most of them were around .25 Cents.

I could cry at some of the neat sets I destroyed. The only thing that keeps me from breaking down was I was not alone. Gees “kids” what a wast. Most of todays kids are just as bad so things do not change much, even if we think they due.

I had to retire from being a County building inspector in 2010 due to past military service medical problems that reared up. Sad I am not alone in this problem either. I started to buy radios when I was working and know have started to returned back to better healthIcon_crazy , I would like to start to but them back into working order as one I think there are neat and kind of penance to what I did to there name sake.

As of this time I have a Admiral model 7P33, GE HJ905, Philco 41-221, Radiola 61-3, Crank Tel-Phone style Radio from the sixties, a 29 or early 30 floor model that I do not remember who made it and it is kind of hard to get to see the back. Kind of heavy and do not like to move it as the legs are kind of thin and fragile looking. Need to set on a dolly to move around. I have looked on line at radio attics web page but does not look like any one of them. This thing has two separate tunning knobs one has three knobs and the other has two besides the tunning knob. Top flips up to revile radio chassis. This is a manufactured radio or a real expert cabinet maker . Looks factory made cabinet. Will post picture when I am aloud.

I also into old cars, a 53 Plymouth and a 70 Dodge step side pickup. Do not tell any Mopar nuts (me) that Mother Mopar made a step side, they did not call them buy that name. Mopar called them UTES (not sure of the spelling), but if you are not a nut most people look at you kind of strange. To make it more confusing in Australia Mopar called there pickups utes, look like a car that was a pick up. Hum could be GM and Ford had one something like that in the States. I hear my wife THINKING "Rambling On" get to the point. Gee hon there is none.

Back on track, I would like some thoughts on the following to add to my collection. Can not afford to buy them all, even with the price at almost give away prices.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/4214118377.html
silvertone radio and phono model could be a 7080 or 7085.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/4230967517.html
Stromberg-Carlson
Radio Phono can not find any info about this set.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/4231950873.html
Atwater Kent "stove" radio
Model looks like a “52”
I am not looking into reselling any but I am not sure I would even like this but if I could make some money to buy others I would think about flipping this set.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/clt/4233254932.html
GM RADIO
Model 170 battery operated.
More of my style but is missing all of the tubes (7) At the price of what these tubes could cost could be a deal breaker. (4) “232”, (2) “231”, (1) “230”. Could be worth buying for the chassis or a decent cabinet.

Your thoughts on the above four models would be very welcome indeed. Besides the price I have to get them put away before the wife:::::::::::: Not sure what she would say before I fix the other ones I have had for a little while know (about 7 years). I have taken the third step and ordered some caps this week to get started on them. Step one was buying them, step two was buying some test equipment.

I am going to open another thread in the equipment section on a frequency counter if any one is interested.

Thanks for listening along, my wife thinks I am long winded at times.Icon_wave8)
Ed.

Hi Ed and welcome.
Are you into records?
Like that Stromberg you posted.

Regards,

Tim

hi ed and welcome
I would buy all or at least the kent but that's me
you buy what ever you feel is best electronics or cabinet restoration
you can get lot of great help from every one here
sam

Out of that lot, I would go for the Atwater Kent, and or the G.M radio. Probably the most expensive tub in the G.M is the type 30, but even those aren't that expensive if you buy them from the right place, 31s and 32s are not expensive at all.
Although both of those radio-phonos seem cheap enough they are both post war units with crystal cartridges, the Stromberg also has the lid missing. Then you also have potential mechanical issues like a bad idler wheel, by the time you have one up and running you will have as much into restoring it as a much more collectable radio.
Regards
Arran

I'd get this RCA 811K for $95.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fud/4242905316.html

Go for all of them and you will have plenty of stuff to do for the next 5 years. Cheaper than fishing.