Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Want To Purchase A Isolation Transfomer

I am setting up my workbench and am looking for an isolation transformer. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I see that some brands like the Tripp may have to be modified I would prefer one that is a true isolation transformer.

Thanks,

Charlie

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p...&_from=R40

Choose one.
I bought mine on e-bay.

Why would you have to modify Tripplite? Just check it for the true isolation.

For me the only criteria are:

1. True isolation / electrical breakdown / low leakage.
2. Available power (250-350W is quite enough).
3. Voltage (should have 1:1 i/o ratio).
4. Of course it should be standard Mains type outlets.

I have been reading that the Tripp isolation transformers may need the ground disconnected from the output outlet. So if the Tripp was a true isolation transformer wouldn't this have been done?

Same was the case with my medical transformer. They called it "leakage reduction" (have no idea why) in my case while still marking it as isolation.

Simply disconnect the jumper wire (in my case it was a jumper).

In any case, I wrote about it in two separate threads - do not ever trust "isolation" claim until you check it yourself.

type in "isotap wp" as a search on ebay and you'll get a variety of VIZ Isotap isolation transformers. However, I bought mine from Valutronics since I was new to this sport and wanted to be certain my isolation transformer was working properly. They check it out before shipping. They currently have a 25A model for sale for $29. https://www.valuetronics.com/detail/Used...qt-VLSQORM (I have no relationship with ValueTronics).

I purchased a TENMA combo variac / iso transformer from MCM a few years back.. I have VERY limited space. It's served me very well and was reasonably priced. it comes with a 5 amp fuse on the Iso side but I replaced it with a 2 amp fuse for less zap potential.

the built in meters are small and crap tho..

Fuse does not affect whatever potential, even the zapping one. All it will do is blow upon overloading. Even a 100mA fuse will kill you with the same success rate as a 100A one.

Fuses are there to protect against fire, mostly.

I should choose my words more carefully, Morph.