Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

640B cabinet finish

Hello, I am new to this forum, although I have been collecting Philco radios for several years. I'm sure this has been covered before at sometime , but If someone can help, great. I have a 640B tombstone model that is in need of cabinet restoration. My first question is..... Is it brown paint that covers the top and sides or something else? Also, is the front a stain or something else. The front seems to be two different shades according to pictures of other similar radios I've looked at. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, do you recommend a paint stripper solution on the wood prior to refinishing? Thanks. Icon_confused:

Hello and welcome!

The front panel of your 640B should be finished with Medium Walnut toning lacquer; the trim surrounding the front panel, as well as the top and sides, should be done in Extra Dark Walnut or Van Dyke Brown toning lacquer. You want a very dark brown finish on the top, sides, and trim surrounding the front panel in order for the cabinet to look like its original color scheme. And do not use paint, that is not authentic. Use the recommended toners.

Good luck with your project!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN