Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

509X-anyone have one with pictures ?

I have this radio on my bucket list. EDIT- I meant a 509X. Thank you Gene for the correction.

One sold on ebay a few years ago for way more than I was willing to bid at the time. That is the only one I have ever seen.I believe it used the same Hi-Fi chassis as the 201X console.

Anyone here have one, seen one in person or have photos of one to share ?

Do you mean a 509X? That is listed with the 201 chassis.

Gene

Bruce, I corrected the title of this thread for you. Icon_smile

I've never seen a 509X, although I've seen a few photos of them around here and there.

The closest I ever came to one was an empty 509X cabinet that was on eBay about five years ago. I came >thisclose< to bidding on it, but ultimately decided against it as I knew I would probably never find the correct chassis and phonograph for it.

I think I might have some Philco dealer material on that model around here somewhere. I'll have to look for it, after the holidays are over. I will also get that chassis we discussed bench tested for you after the holidays as well (I haven't forgotten, just been busy getting ready for Christmas).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Bruce, I don't have one, but I know a guy who does. I only snapped 3 shots of it the day I was at his house... the day I picked up my 37-675. Icon_biggrin

Rodney

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for the photos-That may be the same one sold on Ebay a few years ago. It was up in that same general area.

It looks small in your photos Icon_smile Icon_smile

Man Ron do you ever need one of those for your MCH.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Mike - Nope, I'll defer to Bruce if one becomes available. I really do not have room for any more consoles.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

A quick bing search indicates there are at least 3 or 4 of these with photos on the net. Differences are seen in the grill cloth area. I have visited many private collections in the past 10 years and none I have toured had one of these. 500 produced so if 10% survived that should be 50 or so surviving. Did Philco make the low volumn cabinet or was it perhaps farmed out ?

$600 was a princely sum the year these were made.

I don't know anything about cabinet differences, but I can say quite positively that it's not small! It's more like the size of a buffet or a credenza than the size of a pre-war console. Only the 60s-70s aircraft carrier-style consoles are bigger!