Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-190 nightmare

Still trying to figure out this ultra modified 190 chassis.
Not only was the power supply section modified to eliminate the 84 tube, as well as the electrolitics being confusing and the mysterious dogbone resistor that does not belong, now after looking closer, I realized that the 7J7 tube was replaced with an 8 pin 6J8.
What the H**l?
Of course the original 7J7 tube socket would have to be replaced seeing as it has an 8 Pin tube socket in it's place now.
Should I just scrap this morphadite out now and hope to find another chassis?
I have run into these basket cases a couple times now, and I just get frustrated trying to get it back to where it makes sense.
Any encouraging thoughts?
murf

Your radio most likely came from the factory with the 6J8G instead of the 7J7. They are electrically identical and it seems Philco used them interchangeably. It appears they used the 7J7 in early production, then switched to the 6j8 and finally went back to the 7J7 again. So depending on when your radio was made it could have either tube from the factory.

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the 7A6? There should be one 7A6 for the detector and AVC, and a 7C6 for the audio amp in the 40-190, not two 7C6's.

Nice to know that Philco made that change?
Your right on the 7a6.
My schematics are hard to read.
Thanks for your help.
murf

I don't know if it would help at all, but I have a 40-190 that I don't believe has been tampered with yet that I could take pictures of and send you. Just a thought. I hope you get her straightened out!

THanks for the offer of the pics.
Don't think they would help much as the tube sockets are pretty buried and probably would not show much.
I am going to continue to look for another chassis I guess.
Have a merry x-mas.
murf