Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 cabinet woes

Hi to all. I recently received some help on this forum with a 640B I am working with, so I thought I'd run this one by everone in hopes someone will have an answer. I have a model 70 that has several inches of veneer missing on one side of it. I can't tell if it's mahogany or walnut. I understand both types of wood were used on this model for sides and top. Is there an easy way to tell what type of wood I may have ? Also, is there a source for veneer that anyone knows of? I need a piece 7" X 10" to fix my cabinet. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

Take a good look at your cabinet...if you see a hint of red in the wood, it is mahogany; but if you only see shades of brown, it is likely walnut.

I suggest a Google search for "veneer." Constantines and Van Dyke are two possible sources. As a general rule, veneer can be hard to find from local sources.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi guys,
If your cabinet is mahogany, you might be better off to replace the complete wraparound. I have done this on a couple of my cabinets. A good source of 1/8" mahogany ply is Airccrft Spruce and Specialty.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes