Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Picked Up A Grundig Last Night

Picked up a Grundig 2035 off of Craigslist last night ($75-). Works very well and the tuning is nice and brightIcon_biggrin!

[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/main.ph...alNumber=2]

[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/main.ph...alNumber=2]

I picked up a Model 88 off eBay which is a smaller AM/FM unit. I think it only has 4 tubes and it is one of my best performing units of the lot. I listen to it quite often. Does yours have a Magic Eye? Nice find! Enjoy!

Craig R.

I am envious....It's been long time since I want a Grundig in good cosmetic shape.....this one looks great. And they sound good.
Considering this is 50-s, if it was not recapped I would do that, but then maybe it was. The rest usually does not need anything done to it.

Yes, those are supposed to be pretty good sets!

I have an oddball Italian console with Telefunken internals. Man, OUTSTANDING sound from the PP EL 84s to the six speakers......

Yep EL84 (soviet version was 6П14П) is a good pentode and was a typical solution for most of those Germans and Soviets of 50s table sets.

VntgRads Wrote:Does yours have a Magic Eye?

Yes, and it's nice and bright. It's in the escutcheon on the front of the set on the right above the logos. I'll take some pictures of it. Kind of unique the way it works compared to the "cat eye" we are used to. I've been scouring the internet trying to find schematic and service information. Finally found some good information from a Dutch site and another member from the other forum sent me some information. Whatever is in German I plan on manually typing in to Google Translate so I know what it says. I plan on at least changing out the electrolytics and paper caps and the usual checking of resistor. I also briefly read that the rectifier is a bit unique. I'll need to go back and reread the post I found.

I think I have found everything I can and will post a download link for future owner's of this set as time permits.

- Geoff

These magic eyes I think analogous to the Soviet 6E1P tube.

Is this the way it looks?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6q3zurhAs..._6q3zurhAs

or
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=07MoOtZ1I4o...7MoOtZ1I4o

Then your circuitry is probably looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=6е1п&ie=...tClmYPM%3A

Here's my little Grundig. Measures just a little over a foot wide. Very good performer.

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

You should be happy with her. My friend Ross told me that in Germany, postwar, radios were taxed based on tube count. Therefore German engineers set about getting maximum performance with minimum tube count. Do you have a midrange and a tweeter in there?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Same was the case in England before the war. Plus you could not have two tube structures within one envelope and still consider it one tube (England for you. Singing "'Cause I'm a taxman" right now). It resulted in development of their version of pentagrid.
Though....it was not quite a tax but rather royalty to British Valve Association. One pound per tube. Same crap.

I'm not too sure about that in West German, because in the 1950s and 60s there was a proliferation of higher tube count sets coming from there, A lot of the ones I see had 7,8,and 9 tubes or more, and that wasn't just the export sets.
With regard to Britain, I the British Valve Association operated kind of like the OPEC cartel where they would price fix tubes/valves. They also operated under almost a loss leader scheme where they would sell tubes to the radio manufacturers at cost and then shake down the buyers of the radios on replacements. For whatever reason, unlike the RMA in the U.S, or Canadian Radio Patents LTD., they could not get their act together and actually standardize tube types across the industry.
Some things were down right stupid, like having three different tube base standards competing with each other, and other things like using 4 VAC for a heater voltage. That part I still don't understand as most tube heater voltages here had some logical reasoning behind it, like 2.5 volts was half of 5 volts, or 6.3 volts was arrived at because that was the standard voltage of a car's electrical system.
What I find amusing is how they identify a certain tube type with a British company, even though that company had little to do with developing a tube type. Take the Phillips side contact style tubes with the red metal spray shield, they call those "Mullard" type valves even though Mullard was a subsidiary of Phillips and these types were used all over Europe.
I think that the War and the Post War "Export or Die" period gave them a kick in the pants. This was not only for export purposes but Britain was swamped with cheap North American style surplus tubes which some start up companies used, Barker and the company that manufactured Emor Globe radios did this. Some American affiliated companies like Philco, Pilot, and Kolster Brandes used almost exclusively American type tubes even before the war. The exception being the infamous PENDD 61 tube used in Philco 444 "People's Radios" those were made by Mazda Valves for Philco I believe, and they are like rocking horse pooh to find.
Regards
Arran

Got a very similar design Delmonico PB-741 with the small tuning eye tube.
You have to love the styling of these era big FM/AM/SW radios.

Nice find.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Differences in these radios even extend to how they finished out the power transformers and audio transformers they used. They seemed to prefer the designs with naked solder tabs on many of the ones I saw. They all seemed to have decent performance and excellent sound for the size of cabinets they had. The wood and finishes used were outstanding! They were very beautiful table model radios.

Joe