Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late 16B Code 125 Tuner Slippage Help

Hello all! My first post here.
I have read on the Philco Phorum that the earlier 16B in both cathedral and the 16B with QAVC had o-rings and rubber pieces that went bad in the tuning mechanism.. But in researching the later 16B I'm not sure how it works. The fine tune and the course tune sometimes fail to turn the variable condenser.
Tuning cap and all controls were cleaned and lubed after a very nice restoration, but this makes tuning difficult. I turn the course or fine tune, and the dial and tuning cap stay stationary. It feels gritty, perhaps crunchy. Icon_sad
Any help would be appreciated.

Is there some kind of clutch assembly? Rubber o-rings or something I am missing?
Thanks.

I have heard that these are great radios but this really takes away from the enjoyment of the radio.

Was the vernier drive for tuning taken apart and all of the old grease cleaned out? If not then I would highly recommend doing that.

Sean
WØKPX

Good info here

http://philcoradio.com/library/index.php...34-44-144/

GOOD advice, Tim!!

Remember, this site (and Chuck's) is the most complete source of Philco information available.

MANY of you questions can be answered by first going through the volumes of information documented in these sites.

Thank you for your help.

The vernier drive had its old grease cleaned out and was lubricated.

The info on the tech drive applies to the earlier models.

Could it be the dial string slipping?

Any more info on the code 125 drive would be helpful. The earlier drives on the more common code 121, and 122 are different.