Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180 electrolitic

Looking at the 12/350 electrolitic, and there are a few wires soldered to the mounting nut for the can.
There is what looks like a noncumductive washer under the nut.
There is a red wire soldered on the nut which has 13.5 volts going thru it from a terminal strip close by as well as a green wire(I think its green) from the transformer. There is also a resistor mounted to this nut which goes up to a terminal strip.
Is this just a tie point for the wires or do they need to be connected to the negative side of the new electrolitic.
Kind of confused on this one?
murf

Those wires, and the nut, are connected to the can of the capacitor. The insulating washer is to keep the can negative above chassis ground for the bias section of the supply. Using the nut for a tie point for all those connections saved them having to add a large solder ring.

Murf and BrendaAnn, this is excellent timing! After a few months of having my 40-180 apart, it is time to put things back together. This conversation saved me from making a silly, yet costly mistake in putting those cans back in - thank you!

Murf, did you restuff those cans, or just put the new cap under the chassis? I was planning on restuffing the can, but decided not to when I figured that cap might need to be replaced in another 15 years or so...

Eric

Glad we could help.
Brenda straightened me out.
I just mounted them underneath. Much easier and I don't get many people flipping the radio over to look at the caps.
Good luck on yours and thanks again to Brenda.
murf