Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zentih 712

I ran across a Zenith 712 in an antique shop yesterday with a $300 price tag on it. It appeared to be all original. My gut tells me the radio isn't worth that much, but I really don't know anything about the 712, either technically or with regard to value. Anyone have some insight they'd be willing to share?

It's a cool loking radio, but whether it is worth it or not....don't know. Zs are usually overpriced.

Then I haven'ty seen any in a very long time on eBay, so they might be somewhat rare.
I am not a big Z collector so I would forgo, especially considering it is the store price.

Have you tried to haggle yet? See if you can bring it down to under 200.
And....cash in hand waved in front of the storeowner's nose sometimes does magic.

I finally found a picture of this model and now can add my two cents.
As far as the price, I am not sure, but this radio does have some things going for it. One, it has a unique shape and I love those peep dials. It would definitely catch my eye if I saw it in a shop. Two, pre-black dial era Zeniths are not all that common. At least not in my experience. I actually paid something around $250 for my 34P console and had to wait a year for the previous owner to finally figure out what he was going to do with it sitting at the repair shop I saw it in.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hmmm.....

I LIKE the early Zs. The 712 is not an often seen set. IF it is in NICE shape and nothing is fried on it, it is probably worth 300 dollars.

Try waving 150 dollars at the owner and then MAYBE you can get it for 200 dollars!

Thanks for the information guys! I'm not a huge Z collector, but this little radio might just find a home with me at some point. He says that his price is firm at $300, but time has a way of changing people's minds and I am in no hurry.

I don't think it's worth $300, but much more interesting then one of the big black dial models, no where near as common either. When most people discuss Brand Z they usually talk about sets from 1936-37 and newer, up until 1941 usually. Before 1936 Brand Z was not as much of a mass market brand and I don't think they were distributed outside the U.S Midwest as much.
Regards
Arran

Agree. The early Zs have a gothic appearance and some interesting electronic features that flip my trigger.

Many of the early Zs had broadcast up to 1750 Khz. Several featured twin speakers, a shadow-meter, sensitivity control, and PP 59 output. The push-button tuning feature on these sets is unique!

I really don't have anything against the "black dial" Zs, and actually have a couple of them. But I don't actively persue them.

The only thing I at least used to actively pursue was girls but even that is in the past....

I was very happy to buy this 760 the other day. It started of at $300 and sat there - - - - - and I offered $150 - - - and it sat there - - - and I offered $100. After about 2 years, they sold it. I am very impressed with it. it has all of the cool stuff listed above and I have never seen another one. I think that these Zeniths are rare and, as of now, under appreciated. I'll bet one day the big black dial collectors move in this direction.

"After" picture:

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I wouldn't bet on the B.B dial guys going in that direction, since they seem to be fixated on the latter sets because of the dial and the fact one was used as a TV show prop. That's part of why they ignore RCA and Philco sets from the 1936-38 era, the dials are smaller and the appearance isn't flashy. There is no rhyme or reason for what is collectable and what is not, sometimes the only reason people want something is because they think everyone else does.
Regards
Arran

Phil, I'm curious... who'd you buy that 760 from? I feel like I've seen it before.

Phil, that 760 is beautiful! I think I'll take your approach and make an offer. The worst he can say is no, and meanwhile I've planted the seed.

Yes, the 760 is a great example of what I was referring to. I have a 775, same dial configuration, different chassis/cabinet.

That one was at an "antique" store in Grants Pass for at least 2 years, maybe 3. It had a small but heavy tube TV setting on top of it most of the time.

I remember the first time I saw it. I had to look twice before I realized it was a Zenith.

I do really like it, even if it wasn't in a TV show.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Oddly, I have been stumbling on actual, affordable black-dial era Zeniths more and more lately in my area. Not huge numbers, but enough to have actually built a small Zenith portion to my collection now. I really wish some of these earlier units would pop up more as I really like them, even more than the black dial units.

No matter where you go, there you are.