Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-201 SW antenna connection

It has been quite a while since I took the chassis out of the 40-201 cabinet. Today I brought the 38-9867 SW antenna in and connected it to the chassis to use it in checking the SW high band. It works, but I connected one end to a ground lug at the antenna terminal strips on the back of the set. The existing ground lead is so short on this loop antenna that it appears only capable of attachment to one of the screws on a bracket at the tuning capacitor which holds the capacitor in position on the chassis. I think I am correct about that.

I don't think it is critical as it seems to be working OK on the bench using a clip lead back to the terminal strip ground.

I have one question about this SW high band. Has anyone used a long-wire or other outside antenna connected in a way to improve SW reception on this band? It may be that this particular loop is optimized for the front end. If an outside antenna connection is desired, it may be necessary to make a similar loop next to the existing one to couple the energy into the original loop. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe