Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cleaning and Polishing Bakelite knobs

I have wondered on this for a while... I'm always leery to use anything that would be used on plastic materials on bakelite because, as I understand it the chemical make-up is significantly different. So have stuck to water and soap with a toothbrush.
Would like something to bring them to little bit of a gloss if possible.

What has anyone else used or done to them?

thanks.

I have had great results with Novus #2 or #3 depending on how dull they are. I have never damaged a knob this way.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Here's an earlier thread on the same topic you might find interesting: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...+polishing

I first clean them with purple power (best cleaner I have ever used) then I buff with cheap walmart rubbing compound and a dremel "cloth" cleaning wheel not the fiber wheels. They look like they are coated with wet oil after washing the dry compound off. This also works for scuffed/scratched and yellow plastic dial glass. Todd

I came across this youtube video a while ago on
bakelite knobs.

I have not tried his technique myself but he claims it works very well

It is in two parts, here's the first part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDeE48dVyTw

Herb S.

Thanks folks! I'm obviously underestimating there durability! I read the other thread and it sure looks like the Mothers worked pretty well. I've got Novus as well just didn't want to use it on the Bakelite. I wondering now why i was so leery of using much of anything.

Thanks again ...very good information.

Jeff

I agree with TAB10672 "I first clean them with purple power (best cleaner I have ever used)"
That stuff works on BBQ grills also!

I've had a cleaner like 409 dull Bakelite knobs before. Now I just spay them liberally with a furniture polish, let them soak, clean any nooks, crannies, or crevices with a soft toothbrush, and they come out looking like new.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks Eliot,
My recollection is something on that order...because of what the bakelite is made out of compared to plastic.
I like the furniture polish idea.

I use Excalbur paste car wax with a soft cloth and minimum of paste.
Also use a very soft toothbrush for the cracks and grooves.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck ...I was just looking at using some paste wax....the particular ones that brought this up are the thumb wheels on a 42-400 that have dirt/grease in the notches....have to pick up a soft toothbrush. I'm guessing the bakelite is fairly soft...

I tried my wife's ultra sonic cleaner last night (don't tell her). I had to run it three cycles, but it worked great.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Cool Eric! Trouble with the big consoles it is not easy to remove the thumbwheels is not a simple task so have to do it in place.