Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scored a 37-116x DeLuxe today

I got lucky today and was able to pick up this 37-116x DeLuxe.

The only problems I can see right off is one of the knobs is incorrect, and the speaker is trashed. Seems grand kids and old grill cloth and speakers don't play well together. The chassis is a monster on this radio and looks fairly complicated with the magnetic tuning circuits. Should be a fun restore.

Thanks to my wife who tolerates my hobby.. Icon_biggrin

Here are a couple pics:

[Image: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501...731297.jpg]

[Image: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m501...5204d6.jpg]

-Keith

Nice! I know the 38-116 is a slightly better performer, but I think the 37-116 is a far better looking radio. Congratulations!

Keith, you are right, the chassis is a monster. I traveled 6 hrs round trip for mine back in the fall. My wife also is terrific to go along with this. My grille cloth is shot too but the speaker is good. Cabinet on mine is good too except for the top which must have held an overwatered plant. I hope to start on it before spring. Enjoy yours

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Congrats!!!
Fortunately sounds like so far the grill cloth and spkr are not that big of a deal to replace/repair. I'm sure you'll have a lot fun getting it back in tip top shape. And when it's all done you'll have a very nice HiFi set!
Terry

Great radio, the speakers can be acquired or reconed.
Grandkids should be spanked om a regular basis and the grill cloth will stay intact, but here in the US we seem to prefer the environment to be ruined as long as we do not spank anyone.

Congrats!

That's swell, Keith!! Great find!!

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clapIcon_wave

Keith, great find and tougher to find in AZ! I restored a chassis for a friend and they are a beast to work on. The "magnetic" tuning actually works well although there is nothing really "magnetic" about it. The sound out of it beats most radios from that era, the variable IF spread makes a noticeable difference in the quality of sound out of the radio.
Enjoy the adventure.
Regards, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Keith great find I am sure you will have her playing in no time. A keeper for sure.