Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco RF cans to chassis connection

I have noticed that almost all of the cans in my 90 that shield the RF transformers, and that are flared after they pass through the chassis for the contact have poor connection which becomes better as I press on the can.

Pulling them out is out of the question. I of course can come up with some gasketing that would go undet that holder that holds the coil assembly inside it - it also bolts to the chassis.

But maybe someone already has devised a clever way to improve that connection.

If the chassis and cans are steel, you can get a short length of wire and solder shield to chassis. Easily undone if this is not the problem

No, unfortunately the cans in 20/70/90 are aluminum.

Conductive epoxy? A dab on the underside of the chassis might work.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/adhe...poxy-8331/

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

If there is enough room inside the can (pretty sure there is), you can use a short piece of solder wick or other braid, and blind rivet it to the inside of the can and use a ring connector under the coil mounting screw. If you use those ring connectors with the built in 'star washer' construction, you should have a good solid connection for many decades to come.

What I need is a copper bar, placed between the coil holder and the chassis sing the flared can edge as a fulcrum. Times 4.

The way those cans are installed at the factory, hard to believe that is the problem. If loose which I doubt, try twisting them if you can to see if you can find a tighter spot. Those suckers were really put in there tight.
Regards, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry

It may not be a problem at all, but the fact remains, the resistance between the can and the chassis varies between 200 Ohm to 5 kOhm in one case.

And, they are VERY tighly compressed into the chassis. They are not loose. So - they do not twist at all. I believe an oxidation has developed between the can and the chassis.

Hello everyone. Just a thought... any auto parts store sells conductive paint for repairing the fine grids on rear window defrosters. Perhaps painting a heavy bead around the can to chassis joint after cleaning the area would cure your problem. Not that expensive, and worth a try. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Gary

Could be a way to do it. Thanks.

I also though that at work I have some EMI gaskets that is very conductive as it is a metal mesh and very elastic for compression, so a piece of it under the holder might just do the trick.

I tried to twist them again.
Before I did I measured the resistance and in one can it was still 1k or so.

I aplieed the twisting effort to every one of the 6 cans, none really twisted or even snapped a little, but I think this effort was just enough to break the aluminum oxide or whatever it is that formed in between the cans and the chassis. After the re-measurement I can see that the resistance of each can is between 0.25 to 0.4 Ohm (0.2 is the meter's leads resistance).

Now not that it affected the performance - no, I do not think it did, but at least now when I touch a can, I hear a reduction in volume no matter which can I touch. Before some cans I touch would increase the volume and others would decrease it - this was what prompted me to check the grounding.

Well, it is not that important but I like things in order and functioning as intended to the best of my knowledge and ability, and not the way they want to function, which is usually "leave us alone - we do not want to work at all".

Icon_smile

PS. I will probably still get some of that EMI gasketing, just to make it reliable.