Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help identifying a radio

Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on this radio. I can not find any Brand name, or model number on or in the radio. This is the radio that my mother grew up listening to. I assume it is from the late 40's or 50's.

[Image: http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af17...51e877.png]

Hope the picture isn't too large, and I know it's not the best picture just a quick one taken on my phone. Any help would be great. I would like to clean it up and find the right knobs for it so she can display it. The radio is in very good shape, no cracks or anything just needs a good cleaning. Not sure if it still works. My mom was about to plug it up but I stopped her, because I didn't want to mess something up.

Looks like one of the Transitones by Philco.

And you were absolutely right to stop your mom from plugging it. It is likely an AA5 radio (meaning hot chassis) which is a hazard in the first place, and then after so many years of disuse Gosh only knows what it will do once plugged in. Might even work. But might go on fire.

Thanks Morzh. I've been trying to find a picture of a radio like this one on the internet just to pointed in the right direction of identifying it. There are quite a few radio models that look very close by of manufacturers but I just can't find a picture that matches the radio. I'll start looking at the Philco Transitone models and see what I come up with.

When I turned around and saw my mom getting ready to plug it in I think I had this look on my face Icon_eek I am new to the whole vintage radio thing, but I figured plugging in a 50+ year old radio that hasn't been refurbished wouldn't be a smart idea. Haha

That radio looks amazingly similar to a Lafayette Y5B. I'll do a little digging.

Hey jontz I apperciate your help on this. I just looked up the Lafayette Y5B and it does look an awful look like that. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
The radio in my picture does have a few more ridges in the cabinet and what appears to be a brass or copper decorative piece around the dial. But you might have put me on the right track.Icon_thumbup I'll do some more digging into the Lafayette models.

That cabinet looks very similar to some Admiral models, but the Admirals don't have a metal frame around the dial. But keep in mind that Admiral and other manufacturers typically did not make the Bakelite cabinets themselves, and sometimes the molds would get reused after the original model was discontinued. This set may have been one of those kit radios they used to sell through magazine ads using surplus cabinets left over from a late model AC/DC radio from the 1940s. Maybe you should take the chassis out and see what tubes it has?
Regards
Arran

Let's see the back and insides.

Thanks Arran, I'll look at the Admiral models and see if I can find anything that looks close to it. You may be right that this may be a radio that was bought from a catalog. I'm not sure. I'll see if I can get any more info from my mom, but since she was a kid when this radio was being used not sure if she'll know much. I'll try to take the chassis out this weekend and take a look at the tubes.

Exray, I'll snap some more pictures this weekend of the back and inside, chassis, tubes etc...

Thanks for the help guys.

Shawn, It is an Admiral 20-A6. See http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=11070 Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Joe wins the internet today!

Do I have to pay taxes?

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

No, but it might affect your Obamacare premiums.

Who needs Obamacare! We need to drink, smoke and eat red meat.

People who are healthy 'till the very end will feel like idiots dying from nothing.

Mike, if you lived closer I'd hug you. In the most manly fashion, of course! :LOL:

Thanks Joe!!!! That is it. You are the man. Now I know what it should look like when it gets all cleaned up. Icon_thumbup

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I really do appreciate all the help and good info everyone has given me.