Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco furniture plant number 4.

Last year Ron posted a list of furniture plants and their asociated numbers which Philco used. Also listed were known furniture plants who made the model 112....of those, plant number 4 produced 11,600 of the 112 cabinets. My question; where was plant number 4 located ?

My 112 has a stamp of "28", which has yet to be identified, but as mentioned last year may have been Pooly.

Drew Wrote:My question; where was plant number 4 located?

Between Ontario and Westmoreland Streets in Philadelphia, with C Street bordering it on the west. Plant 4 was Philco's own in-house cabinet factory, part of the Philco complex in Kensington, most of which is now gone. McVeigh Recreation Center now occupies the site where Plant 4 once stood.

http://www.philcoradio.com/history/hist9.htm
(scroll down to see a map of the old Philco complex)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm working on a Philco 201x, and it has a stamp of Philco Furniture Plant #3. Ron, I clicked on the link you provided, and it doesn't show me anything. I'm sure you have updated your website a lot since this original post.
How do I find out where Plant 3 was? This is all new to me!!!
Thank you
Chris

Note: I found it! It is now the 9th section of the Philco history. Thanks for all the great background!

I changed the link in my old 2007 post above yours, Chris. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Geez Ron!!! Is there anything you DON'T know about the history of Philco? It seems like you just pull this stuff out of thin air!! Sure glad you share it! Take care, Gary.

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I know, I'm amazed myself.

That's why I only consider myself No. 2 around here.

Icon_wink Chuck