Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any idea on this model?

That cutout for the speaker looks a lot like some Zenith cabinets I've seen. They used the same design, with the slots around the hole and the drilled holes between the slots. I searched for photos of small Zeniths, thinking someone might have put a Philco chassis in a Zenith cabinet, but came up empty. I agree with others, it is a homemade cabinet. Someone did a nice job though, it even looks like the covered it with veneer.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

JimZ - welcome! Icon_biggrin Now, you know that it is more fun, and sometimes translates into more $$$, if a seller claims that a radio with a homemade/third party cabinet is listed as "SUPER RARE UNKNOWN MODEL!!!" Icon_rolleyes Unfortunately, too many people, especially some of the types who claim to know it all, too quickly fall for such traps.

Research, research, research. I've done a lot of the research for people, even if some want to pretend that this website and its extensive Gallery do not exist.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome to the Phorum Jim!

Welcome Jim! It is still a fine looking radio. Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

As a new member I'd like to thank Ron and the rest that have helped me with the mystery. I'm not particularly disappointed about the cabinet and I didn't think the seller misrepresented it is as rare, nor did I believe I was purchasing anything rare. I like the look and needed a small radio for a specific location.

Paul - I am sincerely glad to help. And be assured that my comments about "types who claim to know it all" were not directed at you, or anyone on this Phorum for that matter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

There is a somewhat notorious seller on a radio selling website that I shall not name, that was trying to sell a Philco 650 in a homebrew cabinet as a "rare factory offering". I think he finally realized what it was, gave up, and posted it on fleabay again. Philco never offered a 650 in any cabinet with Oak plywood panels, and their cabinet makers certainly would not have inverted the grain of the walnut pilaster on one side of the front panel.
There is also a chassis out of a late 40s Sparton Radio-Phono combo unit installed in a very amateurish and ugly custom cabinet for some ridiculous price as well. However in that case they do declare it as being in a custom cabinet, but unlike fleabay you have absolutely no guarantees if someone misrepresents a product, even though they are often priced much higher.
Regards
Arran

Welcome to the Phorum. Many here are ready to help in restoration if needed.

Joe

I read a book by a fellow who mentioned that Allied and other radio supply houses sold after market cabinets especially for little AC/DC sets that had a case that was broken or cracked. Not sure about a wooden aftermarket case, I have had old timers tell me that back in the day when times were hard economically "necessity was the mother of invention". Folks were not too picky sometimes and as the radios were current merchandise so to speak they did not feel compelled to be "all original" in their work. If you had a set with no case and a case with no set and it all fit- voila!

It is now up to us to figure it all out.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Now come on Ron, It's not like you wrote the book on Philco radios...

Never mind. Icon_smile

John
Las Vegas, NV USA