Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP! Is this a Philco?

I am looking for a needle for the turntable in this console but am having an extremely hard time tracking which one I need down when searching under Philco.
Label says "Philco Stereophonic High Fidelity"

The model number is G1068S Serial number is 56043.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/fuo/4277531540.html

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Did you want to place a link or a pic and forgot to do it?

OK, it's here now.

Well, there are no photos of the actual changer there, but just by going by what I can see and the 45 spindle, I am pretty sure that changer is a Voice of Music design.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Yikes! $250? It would take a month of Sundays to get that, unless it has been electrically overhauled, with a new needle, but likely that it needs a cartridge too.
Regards
Arran

I'm not selling it. Looking to buy it actually.

Yes, that is indeed a Voice of Music changer in there! I've had several of those over the years and they are good changers when rebuilt right. I think one site you want to check is voiceofmusic.com. They have info on the various models and a cartridge and stylus index. I should have kept some of the units I had, but didn't have a proper source of parts at the time.

No matter where you go, there you are.

He has already dropped it $50, if he could drop at least one zero off the price he might be in the ballpark. Ron says it's a 1959 model, also looks like it may have been Philco's entry level stereo unit, no radio, just a record changer, and probably an amplifier with a transformerless power supply like an AC/DC kitchen radio or a portable phonograph of the day. Technically it is stereo but it isn't exactly a high fidelity unit. If you like the style that's good, but even if the needle was not missing the seller is off by several fold on the price.
Regards
Arran

Thank you all for your help!
Much appreciated.