Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

testing equipment

OK I take it, it does not check diodes.

Well, you could go to Ohms.

But first, please go to that topic in "electronic restoration" you started and do check that capacitor - it is close to 99% chance this is your problem if it is the board (unless you have a bad crystal).

I also have a small cap checker it beeps high and the tone lowers and if the capacitor is shorted it keeps on beeping instead of stopping. I believe I can use that to check diodes also.

That is unfortunately not a very good cap checking, with beeps.

I would just replace it if you have spare new caps. Cheap and takes the question out.

Tim, I did some digging, and found that transistor checker. Been years since I used it. It does check transistors in circuit, but you can also get false readings. It also checks for leakage, etc. It is foolproof in the respect of how you connect it. Just run the switch up or down until you get a sound. From my experiance, you can check a transistor for shorts with the diode checker function of a DMM such as a Fluke 77. Most are either good or bad. No inbetween, I mentioned the caps - cheap, and you will rule them out. You might try some kind of signal into the cartridge connection - I have seen these go bad and cause the symptom described. Again, food for thought...

Tim