Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor question.

Just realized while recapping, that one of my new 10 mfd caps is, although aluminum and looking identical to other, is not electrolyte.Having all other components, hate to place an order for just one part.Can I use it for an electrolyte replacement in the rectifier circuit with one electrolyte and other regular? It is a dual can with a 10mfd X 2.

What do you mean by "aluminum" and "not electrolyte"? What is it then?

A 10mf 630 or 400V film cap is about an inch across. It is hard to confuse them. If you have a small 10mf film cap is tis probably low voltage.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

The description says: "cap alum 10UF 450v, 20% radial". It has aluminum body covered with a black plastic, exactly like the electrolytic one, the only things missing are an arrows pointing to the neg. side, otherwise they look quite similar.

Well, my bad. IT IS electrolyte, after all. I have never used radials, only axials,
and this one has different markings -there is a narrow silver line going along the length of the cap with a "-" marks but without an arrow. Rightfully so, as with both leads coming from the same side arrow would be irrelevant. Also the negative lead is shorter.Sorry guys for taking your time.

No problem, this is how we learn. I just thought that I am about to ;learn something...then I though, well, maybe you mean non-polarized or something, but those are also electrolytics.....

Good then.