Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 84 restoration grill cloth question

Silicone contamination, most likely. I'll let the cabinet experts comment on methods to clean the cabinet to minimize this issue.

Let's step back to the cloth a moment. Sitting here thinking this morning as I slowly wake up...I recall taking early Philco radios apart and seeing the cloth, or what was left of the cloth. On every set that used the 70/90 Whiskey Rayon pattern, the portion of cloth that was hidden from view was always much brighter...identical to the bright gold color you guys hate so much. Keep in mind that the original cloth darkened over decades due to age, dust, smokers, etc.

I used to own a 111 highboy. Apparently it wasn't played a lot, and the owners kept the doors closed most of the time, as the cloth was pristine...and bright gold. The same 70/90 pattern.

All this reminds me of back when Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters was still in business, John brought out a variant of the Philco "Ribbed" pattern in olive, which was the actual original color. No one would buy it. Everyone wanted the yellowish gold "Ribbed" cloth...because the olive faded to yellowish gold over the decades. The olive variant did not last very long in John's catalog as he discontinued it quickly. I should have bought some...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: philco 84 restoration grill cloth question - by Ron Ramirez - 01-18-2014, 07:02 AM