Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Record Changer Issues

I just got a suitcase Philco record player with what I think is the M26, three speed changer in it. Amp is all rebuilt and it currently works on 78 and 45, but the 33 rpm belt is gone and so is the 45 spindle. Also the knobs were gone for some odd reason. The biggest issue is that it picks up way too soon before the end of the record. My friend who worked on it couldn't figure out how to adjust it. It changes records fine and sets down just fine. One more question: did these use a sodium or crystal pickup? Mine works so far. It is a model D-1344.

Edit: Moved this here as I think this is the better spot for this.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Actually this is best in Philco Electronic Restoration so I moved it there (here).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ok. I didn't know as this is kinda straddling the electronic and mechanical sides of things.

Yeah, Philco Home Radios is intended for general discussions of Philcos, what you found and where, is a 38-690 better than a 37-690, etc.

Getting them going again is for Philco Electronic Restoration.

I've considered adding a phono repair section but I think we have too many subforums already...and too many people are not aware of the others further down the Phorum home page.

Now, after all that, I'm afraid I haven't helped you a bit on your phono issue. As I have seldom ever messed with phono mechanisms, I'll have to leave that to others more experienced than I.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Chuck has some info for me, but I still need to know if this is an M26 changer or not. That's the main thing that has me on hold now. Once I am sure what model it is, I think things can move forward. Icon_smile It is neat to watch in action, the spindle 'nods' towards the post to drop the records.

The picture above matches the M-26. The M-24 was a "little brother" to the 26, with no shut-off after last record, different color of plastic part, etc. Also, the M-28 was essentially the same as the 26, but with improved motor, anti-resonant tonearm, hi-fi cartridge, etc... all on same PR-2829 bulletin.

{Just added, later that same afternoon...}

The M-26 changer is/was used in the D-1344 portable record player from the 'model year' 1956. Bulletin is dated Sept. 1955. Like I'd menbtioned above. Late 1955 intro for the 1956 model year.

Chuck

Thanks for the help and information. It seems these Philco changers don't see much love with radio guys here, but I think they are kinda neat. Watching the center spindle 'nod' to drop the records is definitely a different take on how a changer works. Seems to work well and drops my 78s a bit more gently than my VM changers do.