Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frequency counter

Well, my 38-2670 chassis is completely restored, thanks to you, guys, and it is alive!.
Time for alignment. I bought Eico 315, recapped it as well and calibrated as per their instruction (600 K.C.,1700 K.C, WWV etc.) Looking now for the frequency counter which is also hard to find at reasonable price for the purpose intended with a description other than "as is". Looking at "Data Precision 5740" counter now.Anyone has any experience with those?

Inexpensive modern handheld but pretty good digital frequency counters are available at very low cost. and venerable old ones also pretty cheap pretty much. Have an old model I use to true up my ancient Eico signal generator when aligning old radio sets. Dunno about reliability on really higher harmonics. Anyway, nice to know if generator is putting out a peak prety much on the frequency you read on the schematic to perform alignment. Beyond that, a good analog meter is a best friend for output for a modulated signal, sadly, much better than my ears.

I believe I bought my B&K counter from 80s (if not 70s) for 25 bucks on eBay less than 2 years ago.

I have been looking at frequency counters a bit too. Here is one from Ebay, it is a new one for only about $100.00 . If anyone here has any comments on it would be helpful. Might help you too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VC2000-FREQU...27d6f4a179

I have that counter and it seems to work fine.

Gregb

I purchased one of those VC2000s a few months ago. Up to that time, I was using the freq. counter function of my DMM. The DMM worked fine for AM, but I needed something to handle the higher frequencies of SW, and possibly FM bands. And like you, I was worried about the "as is" statements on a lot of the used Ebay items.

I used the VC2k to align a Farnsworth that I restored. I think it worked great as the dial pointer Is aligned with and exactly tracks the dial scale...and the radio is an excellent performer. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that unit.

Jon

Great, sounds like I will plan on ordering one soon, thanks for all your input.

I picked up a like new Velleman DVM13MFC2 from QTH.com (a ham radio classified site) for $65. It's good from 150Khz up to 2Ghz. It's definitely a nice piece of equipment to have on the bench.