Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-140

I recently purchased a 40-140 early model table top with the original back. I have found it to be rare to find them with the back on them. When I started to take it apart I found that the wire wound antenna on the back was covered with paper and had the part number 38-9978 on it. What was the purpose of this paper. There was a wire connected to the paper on it was all still intact. Also on the top of the radio there seems to be another antenna that has a snap on button to connect to the wood frame. It also has a part number of 38-9893 on it. Is this common is is this an add on. It also says it was built to recieve TV sound. How was this accomplished?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I do not know why Philco covered their loop antennas with paper in their 1940 models, but they did, for whatever reason. Thinking as I type...probably to help protect the semi-fine wire (around 24-26 gauge or so) used in the 1940 loops.

The antenna mounted under the top of the cabinet must surely be the SW loop. All of the larger 1940 Philcos had a single turn loop mounted in the top of the cabinet to pick up shortwave.

"Built To Receive Television Sound" - It was planned for Philco's early (prewar) TV sets to broadcast the sound via AM on a low frequency (between 540 and 600 kc) to a nearby AM radio, in the same manner as their "RP" series of wireless phonographs with built-in flea-power AM transmitter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,
Thanks for the infomation. How good of a performer was this radio on the shortwave end?
Chris

Honestly, I can't tell you...I've never owned one, nor have I ever worked on one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN