Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pilot H220 Radio @ Flea Market

Wasn't sure if I was going to the flea market today or not as I had just covered about 6 miles yesterday at the Turlock, CA automotive swap meet and I was worn out! But today is another day and I felt pretty good after a few Ibuprofen tabs and some coffee. This is what I found for $45 so I'm sure glad I went! It is in very nice cosmetic condition and even has the back! I was also told it was in working condition which is another plus if true. Also has the very cool tuning eye! Can't find much on this model but it is BIG, being 25" wide and 15" tall. This one's a keeper!

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice find!

Here are some more pics.......................

Craig R.

Attached Files Image(s)

I take it from the photos and the sticker on the back that this is a hot chassis set? I also don't see a power transformer so I guess it must be so.

Does anyone know when the first hot chassis sets came out? I always assumed it was later.

My Philco PT6's (1941) are hot chassis, I always thought that was maybe one of the first??

Herb S.
Ithaca NY

I like it . You got a great find for the price.
Henry

I think there is a small transformer inside the metal box behind the metal tube in the one picture. I know where there is a Pilot similar to this one, but I doubt the guy would sell it and my family is currently trying to bar me from buying anything else right now. Of course bills and the weather are doing that job just fine!

Edit: Looked at the one picture again and I guess it is transformerless. Looks like a lot of tubes..

No matter where you go, there you are.

It's got a ballast tube it's got a hot chassis. Also look at the phono jack. It's not grounded to the chassis. That's another clue.
Terry

Love that dial. A great find. Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

AA5s appeared in 30s. So a 1941 radio is certainly not the first.

Just because it's got a ballast tube does not mean it's a hot chassis set. I have a couple that aren't.

Having one side of the power cord connected to the chassis *does* mean it's a hot chassis set. I have a couple that are.

Indeed. Many series string sets have a floating ground. No AC to the chassis at all (well, unless you count RF) The tuner is isolated from the chassis with rubber or phenolic standoffs, and grounded to the circuit with a capacitor.

Well, the Stromberg I restored is exactly that. The chassis is RF, the GND is direct AC plug pin.
They are still connected via 0.2uF cap which makes the chassis kinda hot. But formally it is considered floating.

The Emerson was real hot chassis - both RF and the rectifier negative are an AC plug pin.

Super find, Pilot had plants in NY and also had one here in Mass. up in Lawrence.

Nifty.

Paul

Tubetalk1

A floating chassis/common negative is the standard among transformerless TVs and radios in Canada. In fact prior to 1939-40 or so they did not even allow AC/DC sets to be built or sold in Canada, so we have weird things like 4 tube sets and Bakelite sets with a power transformer, like the Canadian built version of a Stewart Warner Campus radio, the U.S ones use a ballast tube.
Regards
Arran

Turns out the gentleman who does my chassis work for me emailed me the day I bought this radio and asked if I had anything that needed some work. Perfect timing! I brought this over for him to look at. He thought it was a very nice looking unit and said "let's take it inside and hook it up to the Variac". It does work but is going to be given some new caps, tubes checked, etc. Magic eye also works. Appears to be a 1938 model. Chassis is super clean underneath but will be a "bear to work on since everything is buried". Supposedly a very nice and well made unit. I will keep everyone posted. Need to find a couple of original Pilot knobs.

Craig R.