Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 45 Butterfly Restoration Chronicles....Finished

Very Punny Kenny,

Quote...
"I will say this, If you use Oven cleaner for stripper, Gojo for a wood moisturizer , Howard's "Ignore a finish", or Polyurethane. And you are satisfied with these ?,.. then you won't be needing my help, I don't practice those applications."

Yeah I am not a fan of those ideas. Never tried oven cleaner but I like to hand sand most of the time unless there are detailed pieces or legs..
UGH legs stink, Icon_lol

I just finished collecting and placing every piece of old veneer and will glue today after some appts. Only missing a few pieces though. I think I may need to go very dark on the finish, like black toner due to water stains and very dark spots.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kenneth, thanks for the offer for advice on cabinet restoration!

So you are gonna use this painted veneer?
Isn't it easier to get a new one and finish it according to specs?

I want it as original as possible and will strip the veneer once secured to the new top and front.

I got the new veneer but I dont know.

Hmmmmmmmmm

As of 1/01/2021

If you have already gone to all the trouble of making the new front, you may as well finish it with new veneer.

Since you are missing pieces and the old veneer is painted in addition, it seems it will never look as good as if you completely replace it.

See what Kenny recommends?

New issue,

I am currently waiting for the veneer to dry but I have noticed something. The front bottom does not have the angled trim. It is completely flat...

Is this another piece I have to fabricate? It doesn't even look like someone cut it. Could the front trim have fallen off?

Thanks
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Well the glue finally dried and I removed the planer and the table. It came out nice and flat, thank gosh!

Sanded it down, replaced the missing veneer I didn't have, then added the decorative raised veneer. Then I cut out the vent holes in the new top veneer and done for the day

Now it is again a waiting game:

As of 1/01/2021

Looks great, im glad to see someone besides myself that would save a cabinet in such bad shape rather than trash it.

Ok so cabinet now has a bottom, 2 sides, and a top!!

Have to sand the vents but new veneer is looking good.

Thanks Tab, where is my invoice for those radios... I wanna play with them ,LOL

As of 1/01/2021

Trust me my wife wants them out of the living room floor as bad as you want an invoice, I will put that at the top of my list for sun. Now that its warmer I should get caught up.

So I have glued and clamped, and now I have to wait 24 hours.

No caps and no resistors in the mail yet... What to do for 24 hours.. Hmmmmmmm.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Beer.....women....shooting rats in the basement with BB gun....

Wine, Married, Only rat I have is my wifes chihuahua and I am out of Co2 cartridges anyway

Icon_mrgreen

As of 1/01/2021

Clamps are off!

Next is filling all the defects, then grain filling and finally toning. Icon_biggrin

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Curious, What grain filler do YOU use?