Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 45 Butterfly Restoration Chronicles....Finished

I have Mohawk shades. I am currently using medium walnut for this cabinet. but they have many other shades. It is costly for a Qt. but it will last a loooong time. I don't buy them from mohawk though. too expensive for shipping and all. Try pondcovepaint.com. Aaron is awesome and ships immediately. Woodworkingsupply.com is also good.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thats interesting, but I was wondering about which grain filler you use. I have heard about diffeent ones and certain people seem to prefer certain ones.

The brand I use is Mohawk. I like the consistency but it does not always fill all the grains. I will sometime have to do 3 or 4 applications when 2 is about usual. I have not really used any other kind so I cant really compare. This can has covered 10 radios and I still have 3/4 of a can.

As for the 45, I have done all the grain filling, diluted with mineral spirits to the consistency of pancake mix when you want thinner bigger pancakes,lol
After grain filling I attached the top moulding with woodworkers glue and clamped.

Now to wait 24 hours and then lightly sand with #0000 steel wool and tone this baby.

As of 1/01/2021

Ahhh, ok. I understand now. Didn't realize Mohawk had grain filler also. Thanks. Icon_razz

Ok, my 45, the grain filler is dry, #0000 steel wooled, and then body toned with perfect brown.

Next I taped off the the top veneer, and coated the whole cabinet with black toner, Inside and out.

The next step is to add the whitish yellow stripes and the Philco decal. Then I'll clear coat the entire cabinet with sanding between coats.

As of 1/01/2021

Extra Dark Walnut is the proper color for the dark areas, not black! Philco did not use black paint on the 45C.

I would have used Medium Walnut on the raised veneer panels in front, but Perfect Brown is OK provided it isn't put on too heavy.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron:
I have a Canadian 345 and I have seen it mentioned a couple times the dark colour is Extra Dark Walnut and not black. My cabinet is 100% original never refinished and without a doubt it is black not Dark Walnut. I have a couple other original finish Philco radios and it is clear on them that the dark colour is Extra Dark Walnut and along side the 345 the difference is very clear.
Just my observations.

Gregb

I understand ron, the original walnut could have darked quite a bit over the years so maybe that is why some look black, but who knows. With the water damage, the walnut would not have been enough. It is a compromise but I am keeping it, so it does not have to be fully original even though I like the radios to be. This one is an exception since 50% of it is new.

I finished the striping and am currently applying the decal.

As of 1/01/2021

Ridiculous!

Not one Philco decal on hand, UGH, Gonna have to wait to finish this restoration. Not liking the gloss so I am going to sand it down and use satin.

As of 1/01/2021

Well,
It was a hard battle but I have found those darn decals after just buying more, lol
The cabinet is complete and I am happy with her. I used the original grill cloth but it has red paint on it.
Do you guys think the original cloth looks good? wish I could get the paint out since the cloth is in good shape.
I ordered new cloth but not sure I will use it. I'll try it out and see if it looks better but I am finished.
(yes I know that one knob is wrong. still looking for one. Icon_mrgreen

Now all I have to do is try and figure out how to get the chassis working.

Here she is:

As of 1/01/2021

It still looks good.
BTW this was the reason for me asking why not use all new veneer, would've given you more freedom so you didn't not have to conceal water damage.

I also think (might ne wrong) those 45s I've seen on the web had that reddish hue on the buttefly's wings... probably not that important and could be rendering of the web photos.

Bottom line - I like it, and it is miles away from where it was a mere week ago when we all laughed at it.

Thanks, The sides were where the wood was blackened. The veneer was perfectly fine. I may just strip the whole thing and redo it walnut if I cant live with it. But not now, lol

As of 1/01/2021

Mohawh makes a fabric cleaner that might work wonders on that grill cloth. Here is a link if you want to check it out..

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=7701

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

I guess you got your wish Ron... I was just finishing the little details on the 4 radios I completed. I attached the grill cloth and put the chassis back in to take some nice finished pictures.
I turned around and heard....... CRASH! I looked back and the 45 and my Halson were no longer on the table. I left the room and haven't been back in since. I know it is not good since I heard the cracking of wood.
I will be re-doing the 2 radios I guess... I will try Ex Dk Walnut this time on the 45 and grain fill the Halson. Guess this was Gods way of getting me to do it right, Icon_lol

I'll take pics when I get the courage to go into the workshop and pick them up.

Here is a pic before the fall:

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

That is a real shame, sorry. And, no, I would never wish for anyone's radios to be damaged, even if they painted them pink with green zebra stripes.

gregb Wrote:I have a Canadian 345 and I have seen it mentioned a couple times the dark colour is Extra Dark Walnut and not black. My cabinet is 100% original never refinished and without a doubt it is black not Dark Walnut.

Sorry, but I do not believe that your set is original. Prove it with photos. While I will admit that with Philco, anything is possible, in my experience any Canadian Philco that I have ever seen that had a cabinet matching an American model was finished the same as the USA set.

My 45C has darkened a lot with age and appears to be nearly black, but I have no doubt that underneath the dirt and the age, that is an Extra Dark Walnut finish.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN