Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

The problem I see with the pipe cutter is that the can is fragile and the cutter due to its design is going to have to cut a bit up the can. You will have two pieces to put together that are the same diameter. It will also due to pressure slightly (no matter how slowly tighten it) bend both pieces down a little. With the dremmel you can cut right at the top of the "bulge" at the base of the can and not do any distortion of the can. The can will then slip right into the lower base with no "smooshes". We all have our own way and each are great. That is the joy of seeing other options.
As for connecting the Positive lead out of that type of can, well, you can't solder to it from the inside, at least I have not been able to. I remove the bolt stud and the insulator and put in a nice stiff large wire with a replaced insulator that fits tight in the hole to make a fit. Often the positive stud will come out with a little coaxing and leave the rubber. Drill a small hole through the base to run the negative and run it to a good ground.
Just enjoy the trip, they look a lot better than stuffing the caps under the chassis.
Best, Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by jerryhawthorne - 02-11-2014, 05:31 PM