Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

I have my caps rebuilt, but I am going to trial them before I report just how I did it. Not sure if it is the best. I have enough pieces I tacked things together and powered it up today for the 1st time. I used a variac and 150w bulb in series - just in case. Here are my findings: First attempt - nothing. My bulb wasnt in the socket tight. Second attempt - nothing. Made some checks on the power trans and found all voltages were present. Third attempt-After darkening the room, I could see the tube filaments on, but no B+. A check revealed an open filament on the 80. After some digging I found another 80, tested it and it too showed bad ... after a 3rd tube, I found the tester had died, so it was back to the ohmmeter. Fourth attempt, AH-HA! Thare IS indeed life in that there set!

My vitals are as follows: The volume control is dirty, no hum that I can hear, weak reception, but there IS reception! BUT, the only way I can get anything is to put my finger on the cap of the RF tube. The tuner is pretty quiet on lower freq's, and there is a lot of whistling while tuning. The B+ is a little high, around 280v off the final filter cap (bulb out of the circuit). That is running the radio on 117v. Our line voltage is 122v. Since my tube tester has quit, I cant test these tubes. It is an old Eico 625. I do have a set of NOS, NIB tubes on the way for this.

As of this moment, I have recapped the bakelites, electrolytics, a used 80 tube, and rewound the detector coil. I have had it on for about 30 mins, and I dont see anything running hot. No smoke, no caps blowing up, no sparks.Icon_e_surprised Thats about it. I need to wait on parts before I can do much more. But, this is what I have as of now.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM