Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

Thanks so much! We definatly have different controls. I dont know which is correct. Mine is a larger, metal looking control. Seems the more I work with it the better is sounds. I noticed also the chassis seems flexible on mine. I still need to pull the tuner and give things a good cleaning and replace the grommets. Pulled the rest of the tubes and tested (helps when I get my old tester - well, testing again), found several weak tubes. The worst is the 47. I got about 20% out of it, and the old globe 24 1st IF tube was at about 25%. Osc. tube tested barely into the green as did the 27. Other 24s tested well into the good zone. So, this may be the cause of my weak reception. Now, the odd thing, when I reinstalled the tubes, seems the microphonics ceased, or at least dimished! The new 24s and 47 arrived Sat, and I didnt know it until Sunday. Ill get them tested and put in and see what happens. I do have all the bakelite blocks rebuilt and the large metal cans under the chassis, and filter caps. I havent bothered any mica or turned any screws. Trying to be very careful not to disturb anything except the immediate project. Still have a couple resistors to replace that are out of tollerance near the 47.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM