Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

I did some checks. I unsoldered the wire from the vol control to the coil to check more thoroughly. The coil checked out ok. I had 9.4 ohm on the ant side and 4.8 ohm on the tube side. The volume control is dirty on the ant side, but checks 5k on outside lugs. I think cleaning will fix. I did power up and clipped a wire on the unsoldered wire to the coil and had good volume, but it did not help the sensitivity. When I touch the wire back on the control, it drops the signal a lot, but still picks up. With no ant, tuning the radio to the higher freqs, it hits a spot where the microphonics come back with a lot of feedback - etc. I have pulled the tuning condenser to clean. The screws to the wires werent very tight. Any recomendations on cleaning this? I wonder of those wire contacts the rub the main shaft are the problem. What about washing the dial? Any condensers that could be damaged with water? Any advice appreciated.

This will be the thorough and final cleaning of the chassis before I reassemble for keeps. Yes, all tubes tested. I got no response moving my hand near the RF coil, only when I clip a lead where I mentioned.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM