Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

Last night I washed the tuning condenser. One observation - the main shaft has some wear on one side in the front groove where it sits in the tuner slot. The shaft is out of round in that spot and wobbles when turned. It is not loose. I checked for shorts, and didnt find anything anywhere the shaft is turned. This am I tightened all the screws, replaced the grommets (not real happy with it tho)and reconnected. Powered up and same problem.

I replaced the 27 with a better one (havent gotten the new one yet), and this helped a little. I was running this through an isolation transformer, but when I connected to the a/c line, it did pick up better. It seems stable, but I still cant anything above about 900khz except noises, squealing, etc. I do now have some effect when I put my hand near the RF coil. I am able to use the ant clip on the chassis now. I have plenty of volume now, but it still isnt very sensative or selective. I am thinking it's time to try the alignment. Riders manual mentions a procedure, but I havent found it yet. Anyone know where I can find this?

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM