Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

Now things are starting to get interesting! I measured the current draw of the IF tube by opening the cathode. I saw flucuations that followed the volume and noise. I thought for sure the problem was in that stage, more speficially the plate/coil circuit. The cathode of the IF tube is connected directly to the volume control (bypassed with fixed resistors, control out of circuit), then down to the 70 ohm bias resistor to chassis ground. It also connects to the K of the RF tube. Soooo, I pulled the IF tube, replaced the RF tube (with a different tube), fed the gen into the G1 of RF, tracer at the plate, milliamp meter still in the circuit (opened on the volume control slider wire). Huh... My ears, the output meter and milliamp meter agree - it is in this tube as well. Cathode circuit? Now, where???

Voltage checks reveal nothing. Everything ohms out. I have the ground of the bias resistor jumpered to another ground. There are 3 sections of this resistor. I didnt note any voltage changes on the G2.

Just to note: K voltage is about 15v with only the IF or RF tube in socket. Current on the IF tube is around 25-30 microamps, depending on how strong I set the generator. RF current is around 8 milliamps (because I have the grid cap off). If I am reading things correctly, I have cleared the IF stage, and pinned to the the common cathode circuit.

I dont think further current checks will help me, aside from maybe the G2 current. I think I am down to susbitution of the sections of this resistor. Any thoughts or insight?

Ps: I did do the twist the cans trick. Didnt seem to make any difference at this point.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM