Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 Radio cabinets finished in one day!

OldRestorer, I'm by no means a expert particularly on finish. Yours look great other than the small radio which appears to be in need of grain filler. In general the toning on your radios don't seem to match color wise with the "before". I recognize that they may not have been original finishes or may have darkened in some cases over time. Pictures and lighting will change things. Specifically the Philco 84 seems very dark compared to the before. Again, I don't know squat but you asked for opinions. The console looks very nice but then again, maybe a little "light". No toner? Nice finish and looks great.
As I said, I know nothing.
Best and come out and work on my Fada finish.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks for the feedback,
Yes the 84 is actually lighter but the pic was dark. I did not go by the original finishes 100%. I used online comparisons to figure out the best finish to match the factory. The 640 is toned perfect brown and medium walnut. the flash may have made it look lighter but I honestly don't remember what it looks like since it is at the other house. I had to go darker on the Halson due to the multiple veneer repairs and water stains on the cabinet. I really wish I had grain filled the front but live and learn. As for the zenith, I hate light walnut, lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well, it takes a master to make even an non-originally looking finish look that good.

Kirk,

What do you use for grain filler and where do you get it? I recently reworked a Farnsworth and I'm not overly happy with the cabinet work due to all of the grain 'divots'. Will probably end up re-doing that at some point, but need to know where to get the right stuff for the job.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

I think he uses Mohawk grain filler. I have also heard constantine's grain filler is good too.

NICE JOB! Wish I had that expertism to do that ... LOL!

Nice job Kirk,
What kind of stripper do you use?
Always looking for a good stripper that won't eat the skin off your hands.
I have had some that melts the rubber gloves, but still requires multiple coats to remove finish.
murf

You can always find one in a certain place with a neon sign around the corner.
I prefer the Russian type.

I guess you lost me there?
Should I bring a fist full of dollar bills and a flashlight?

I will agree with you on the grain filler. I have done cabinets without grain filler and now I use it on all the cabinets.
It makes them so much smoother and it just looks better.

Well, With it falling and breaking right after I put it all back together I will re strip and grain fill.

As of 1/01/2021

Ugh......almost hurts to look at it.
That ever happens to me, I will probably empty a bottle of something 80 proof.....

All spruced up and put back together!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Nice work, Kirk.

Have you ever tried yourself in motivational speech area? You obviously got some copious amount of pep people like myself can only dream of.

Do the sides look as good as the fronts do?

The GE sides match the middle strip and look very nice. the Halson picture was right before it fell so When i am done stripping, gluing, grain filling, retoning, adding new decal and clearing I will repost.

I haven't polished out the finishes yet

Motivational speaking huh?
Dont think so. I no speek no gud!

As of 1/01/2021