Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 630 or version?

I am working on what I thought was a model 630 Philco. The label in the cabinet says '630'. There are no labels remaining on the chassis to identify it. I noticed that the service literature shows a wafer board where several capacitors and resistors are mounted, but my chassis does not have this board. It does have two bakelite blocks that are not shown on the 630 chassis layout as well. The 635 chassis looks more like it, but my chassis has a connector plug for the speaker where as the 635 chassis shows hard wiring for the speaker and no plug.

I believe this is the original chassis to the cabinet, and not a swap. Could a 635 chassis have been installed in a cabinet marked 630 at the factory? Could this really be a 635 chassis even though it has a speaker plug?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Frank.

Hi Frank

The 635 schematic does not have the X marks in the speaker wires, but the 635 chassis has the speaker socket and plug just the same.

Yes, your 635 chassis could very well have been installed in a cabinet marked 630. Especially the 630/635B tombstone, the cabinets of which are identical in appearance. This could have been done early in 635 production.

One thing to check on your chassis - does it have a shadow mask between the dial scale and the stationary translucent part with the three band indicators punched in it? If so it is definitely a 635 or late version 630.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

Yes, my chassis does have that mask. Knowing what you have just said, I can pull out the correct service info and move forward with this chassis. Thanks for taking the time to help me clear up this confusion!

Frank.