Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tale of a Z

The electrolysis process only uses baking or washing soda. It is my favorite method for derusting engine blocks and such. I did strip some painted sheet metal and the paint peeled off in sheets.

keithw (CET retired also)

hey...aren't you close to the Russian border?...oh, I forgot, no, it is the North K who is across the border.....boy do they work wonders for a bottle of a good liquor.....they will blast it and plate it and gild it if this is what they do.

This used to be my preferred method when living over there....

I've gotten about as much of the old paint off as I can. Tomorrow: sanding.

I removed the tuner and two of the tube sockets/shield bases. I couldn't remove the LO coil because the connector wanted to spin when I tried to remove the nut.

Much of what is still visible in the pic is the old hammertone that was under all that ugly carp.

After sanding/masking, I should be able to lay the first coat of primer. I'll leave that to set overnight, and likely until Sunday evening before applying the second coat and then the stainless steel topcoats. I'll try to post pics of each stage.

I also fired up my new ultrasonic cleaner for the first time. I soaked the tuner and several miscellaneous nuts and washers. Nothing got what you would call clean and shiny, but it did do wonders for the operation of the tuner (I had no idea that had a reduction gear!).

Morzh,

I'm close enough to Russia (perhaps 200Km) that I often wish I could go visit. I think the closest city to me is Vladivostok. It's well within driving distance, unfortunately, much of that driving would be through the DPRK, and at least for the time being, that's not happening.

It's interesting that Asia Highway 1 (which is supposed to run from Tokyo to Istanbul, with part of the trip obviously by ferry) is supposed to go through the DPRK. One wonders about access to fuel and other services while traveling through a country that really doesn't even want foreigners there at all.

Brenda:

I like the "neat and orderly" workbench!

Herb S.
Ithaca NY

Baking soda and washing soda, there isn't anything special about either one. No fancy chemicals, you can also use TSP or lye as an electrolyte.
Regards
Arran

"Neat and orderly workbench"... ROTFLMAOBHOF!!!

I've set tools down for a moment and never found them again. My problem is that I have so many irons in the fire at one time.

Changed my painting schedule a bit, because the primer dried pretty fast.

Here is the last pic before laying the primer.

First of two coats of primer.

After primer, I painted the transformer shell black. A bit of overspray, but I figured that the stainless steel paint would cover that up. Not quite...

I'll likely leave this to set overnight, and most of tomorrow, before starting to reassemble the set.

Interesting seeing the paint job. I have never tried to paint a chassis before. I've heard people say they use Bondo to fill in the rust pits first.
Did you have to do any of that?

My bench can get just as full until finally it gets so bad I get fed up, stop what I am doing, and do a complete cleanup that can sometimes last for hours by the time everything gets put away again.

Herb S.
Ithaca NY

Herb,

I'm the same way. Just that I have a bit more patience. Icon_smile

Well, it's finished, at least very very close. The chassis is done, and reassembled. Amazingly, I didn't even have to realign it, everything was still perfect. I'm very happy.

Only thing I still need to deal with is that the insert on one of the original Zenith knobs got lost somehow. I have these that are the very same knob, but a different color. (Unless, of course, the ones on the radio weren't originals, either). Ah, I just found repros of the proper knobs at Renovated Radios, and ordered them.

As I said, I'm not sure I'll bother with redoing the cabinet. It's got some minor blemishes, but not bad.

Wow, that went back together fast! Nice job Brenda!

Herb S.
Ithaca NY

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with it. This is the first time I've done this kind of work on a chassis.

OK, I also have a few radios with rusty chassis. So far I have mostly left them alone. A few I have applied naval jelly etc... but I really should start
cleaning and re-painting the worst ones.

My main thing is getting the electronics working, cosmetics have always
been 2nd priority for me. After seeing some of the results Phorum members
are getting, I need to go that direction more I think!

Brenda,

I said that before and will say again - my hat's off to you so many times it just falls all by itself Icon_smile

Seriously, your persistence and patience is an inspiration.
Wherever all that energy is coming from, keep eating it! Icon_lol (or doing it).

Very nice Brenda--your work is amazing