Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Question about the Zenith 8s-154

What do you guys think of this Zenith console? I have a chance to purchase this console. What you can tell me about this radio in far as how good it recieves would be helpful. The radio cabinet is in great shape and all the original parts are still in it. Thanks!

John

It is a fine looking console (and the one that appears on some mousepads) and I am sure will sound fine too, as most black dial Zeniths do.

If it is in a good shape and it does not command the usual price of a Z - sure, I would.

Sound like a good deal. Especially at $150.00 dollars. I will see if it is still for sale at the antique store today or tomarrow morning...Thanks!

The 8S154 is a pretty good set, very popular, and the 150.00 price is pretty good IF it's in nice shape. The acoustic adapter, if it is there, dramatically improves the sound of an already good set. The ones I worked on turned out to be pretty good receivers on BC and SW.

I have restored a couple of 8S154 chassis, the underside is spacious and easy to work on. To be on the safe side, I replaced the candohms in both sets. Just don't trust 'em and have seen the havoc they cause if/when they short to chassis. There is plenty of room underneath to install terminal strips in order to facilitate mounting new electrolytics and replacement candohm resistors. I use 10W closest to B+ and on down to 5W farther away from B+. (Yes, I do tend towards overkill) Make sure you check all resistors, I found around half of them out of tolerance. You will probably need a new gasket that goes between the dial and the dial glass. They are cheap and a very good investment.

Be VERY careful when handling/working on the chassis when it is out of the cabinet, it is TOO EASY to break the small dials on the controls. When/if you remove one of these small dials, make sure that you clean the shaft with a wire brush and lube it with WD-40 or something similar BEFORE you pull the dial off the shaft, as it is too easy to break the small dial tying to wrestle it off the shaft.

Also I don't know if the problem exists in this one (it has 4 knobs in corners whereas mine, 9S262, has the knob for the tone switch in the top middle) but when extracting the chassis from the cabinet be mindful of the switch hitting the top back part. Mine did and broke, had to glue the wafer together and you know how reliable that should be.....

Might not be a possibility with this chassis but wanted to warn you.

Thanks guys ... I picked up for $125.00... It will be put on the back burner, could not pass it up the cabinet is in very good condition. The wife says NO MORE CONSOLE RADIOS OR ELSE! We will see about that.....

Well you are giving one to your mom so there is room for one more.

Icon_mrgreenIcon_mrgreen

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

"Or else" simply means "I will go and buy another fur coat and a pair of earrings".

Well worth it!

Sneak any new ones in while she is out, but cover them up for the time being.
Regards
Arran

.....and every day pull the cover off by 1/2"...so she gets eased up into it gradually. Icon_lol
In a month or two you could drop the cloth and do the "ta-da!!!!" thing.