Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930s Philco Dial Material

Has anyone found any modern plastic material that is close or identical with the color of the original Philco dials of the 1930s era? I see this same type material used on some other brands as well. Any ideas or sources?

Joe

Ask Mark Oppat.....he makes repros.

+1 Icon_thumbup

Oppat's dials are very good repops. I have NEVER been disappointed by them.

Morzh and TA Forbes;

Thanks for that information. I have sent a query to Mark and hope to hear from him soon. I am trying to reproduce a bandspread dial for a Hallicrafters SX-25 I am restoring.

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

I hope you're checking the phorum again..

did you ever hear back from Mark? we had a little email flurry back and forth last year about dials for my 624 & 610. at the time, he was no longer printing them because the company making the material either went out of business or quit making the material.

I didn't get in to super detail with him about the company, but my assumption was he got it from the same supplier Radiodaze was. they have since found a new supplier. I haven't followed up with him on it since. I ended up using the 610 dial scale I purchased from Radiodaze (that I didn't like because it wasn't an exact replica like mark's was). kind of funny that I swapped the 610 and 624 dial scales because I was more interested in having my 610 dial scale be authentic looking. btw.. I was able to adjust the alignment of both my 610 or 624 to accommodate each others slightly different dial scales.

Bret;

Yes that is basically what Mark told me too. He also said that to do a run for the more limited items such as the 624 7 610 or the Hallicrafters SX-25 would require a rather substantial order from a group of people to justify him going to the effort. I managed to acquire a set of dials for the SX-25 from a restorer on the Antique Radios forum group. It might still be a good idea to contact Mark again and see if the situation has resolved itself since our last contacts with him. See you at VPRS Saturday?

Joe

That's a shame.. His repro's are the best. Yup, I'll be there tomorrow.. I'm hoping that Jim can help me locate a vibrator for my 624. and I need a couple of knobs.

by the way, I don't mean to belittle radiodaze dials.. they're very good. I just like his better. Besides, John over @ RD worked with me to get the 40-125 decal set done, for cheap, as they ended up offering them for sale immediately.

I was just in contact with Mark for a dial scale for my 37-611 and he is still out of material and at the moment has nothing lined up. He told me to check back mid summer and see how he made out with finding a new supplier. This is very unfortunate!

Gregb

That is bad news. Mark does great work. I hope he can get a new supplier.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)