Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

70/90 knobs

I thought both of them have big rosette for tuning, two small rosettes for tone and volume and small conical for power switch.

Now, my 70 came with 3 small conicals (Philco knobs) for all other than the tuning (proper big rosette).

I also saw images online with the same arrangement.

And, to finalize, that poor Philco 70 which I found for Brenda also has 3 small cone-shaped knobs. (link below)
I honestly don't think someone replaced them as part of restoration effort with this one.

So, were there different arrangements?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-philco-r...4d18e16877

I have a first version with original knobs with 1 medium for tuning and 3 small for vol, tone, on/off. I also have a second version with the brass bezel and it has the large for tuning, medium for tone and volume, and small for off/on like on a 71b

I suspect there were variations...Icon_smile

FWIW, Mr. Philco said at the Atlanta SARS meet that the 70 used three small rosette (conical?) and one medium. Similar to the beat up one listed on ebay.

The one I have is one large rosette for tuning (I am not even sure how a medium which is for volume/tone/switch would fit a larger shaft) and three small conicals.

Both of mine have the same shaft size for all 4 controls.

You are right, they are indeed the same size. It seemed like it was not, maybe due to the size of the knob.

Would not be surprised if Philco exercised a degree of liberty in determining what variety of knob went on what control.

My 70 has the large rosette for tuning, medium rosette for vol and tone, and small rosette for on/off.

This is the most popular option I think, this is why I was thinking my was off until I saw a few others like that.