Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

If You Need To Learn About Radio Repair..

I have heard it is easy today - no Morse code is required. Icon_sad
I still think a ham should know Morse. I am not even a ham and I know it.

Thanks, Dave. It is something I have always had an interest in, but actually getting on the air for me is a daunting thought, although I NEVER had a problem sending traffic on military sets.

Yeah, it is a bit scary to key up for the first time. I monitored the nets for a couple of years before I bit the bullet. It's quite a bit different than my old CB days. More professional and serious but not in a bad way. If you listen to CB nowadays it'll make you cringe!

One of the primary reasons I got the ticket was for emergency communications. I'm part of an emergency preparedness committee and I figured I better practice what I preach! The free radio was nice but I had already found a nice Yaesu 897D to play with, just couldn't play with it the way I wanted to!

One little secret the Hams and the FCC don't like to talk about is that in a true emergency, when no other form of communication is available, you don't need a license to use the ham bands. At least that's how I read it. But you didn't hear it from me.... Icon_biggrin

In true emergency no licences needed whatsoever, period.
Not just with communications.

Am looking forward to the day I get my licence and start transmitting.

I have gotten nothing but great support from current hams. That is a great way to represent the hobby!!

Well, getting back to learning....
How'bout all of those who want to learn and a few of us who have experience get for a couple of days to some place East Coast, and have a course of repairing radios.

No,no, I understand it is complicated. Icon_smile but wouldn't it be cool?

Yes, I think that would be a great idea!!

But instead of doing it on the east coast, lets do it ......
In RON'S NEW MID-CENTURY HOUSE !!!!!!

Can you think of a BETTER WAY to christen a NEW HOME????

We could set up card tables in EVERY ROOM and stay up WAY PAST OUR BED-TIME fixing radios, telling stories, ......

And THEN, when the MOON is HIGH UP IN THE SKY, we could..............

START A BONFIRE AND BURN BOOKS!!!!!!

Gosh, I'm just getting so excited about this, I may have to go outside and practice marching into Poland, oops, I mean go for a little hike!

But seriously, Mike, it is a good idea!

I know it is.
And we could combine it with cabinet works 101.
I certainly could benefit from it.

As for marching on Poland, Ukraine right now could use you marching on it. And even you end up just drinking one beer, theuy could use all proceeds they can get.

I would bring a truckload of empty bottles, I understand they are breaking quite a few of them filled with gas and a rag.

No, bring beer in them, then it is of a better usefulness.

Nothing against Ron's house or Indiana, but wouldn't it be a bit warmer (and less war-like) in the Caymans, or maybe roost at exrays place in Puerto Rico? We could stop by Ron's and pick him up.

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

A cheap resort is fine, but things being equal I always prefer rural US to any Cayman or otherwise reptilian named tropical paradise....I actually do not like tropics.
And it does not have to be immediate.....winter will be over at some point and then many of us might be looking for a cooler place for a change.

Been to Cayman once. For a day. During a cruise. Got bored out of my mind. Oh.....drove a Jeep Wrangler on the left side of the road. What a drag. If I am ever to do that again, this better be justified by me being in the UK. I like UK.And at least if I hit something big, it will be a classy thing like a lorry or a doubledecker, not a truck or a ....Cayman doubledecker. BTW is this why it is called doubledecker? It decks you once, then decks you the second time?

It's always nice and warm down in SC Icon_biggrin

No matter to me where it is, it will be a long trip! I would be willing to go most anywhere for a get together like this given enough notice. Maybe it could be in conjunction with one of the larger radio meets.

Gregb