Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B toner color

What color toner should I use on this cabinet?

I know dark walnut is too dark and medium brown seems too light (these are Behlen spray can colors that I have on hand).

As you can see, there is flaking in this photo and even more now that I cleaned it with some gojo and steel wool. What is the best way to have a smooth finish when I spray? I am planning on sanding the edges where it flaked smooth and then spraying the toner.

Thanks,
Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

Someone can correct me if im wrong or expand on it, but to get a smooth finish you need a smooth underlay. Make the wood as smooth as you can before you spray and when you spray the finish I think light coats are best as long as you make it "wet" when spraying but dont spray to heavy. Use several light coats to cover. But remember everytime you put another coat on the color will get darker so it's good to start with a light color and as you put coats on, it will get darker to the point you want it. Hope this helps.

I was referring to the dark toned area. That's the problem, where there is flaking, the edges are going to show and the finish will look wavy there unless I do something to prevent it. I am thinking if I spray those areas first to build them up then hand sand to level the surface and spray a final coat that may look best.

I just need the right color.

Steve

Spray it with clear laquer then sand to a smooth finish. then spray the color and a couple more coats of clear over that.

You need Extra Dark Walnut - the Mohawk Ultra Classic, not the Tone Finish if you want any grain to show through - for an authentic finish color. Medium Walnut on the raised panels in front. For the lines above and below the PHILCO decal and in the grille bars, you might be able to find some nail polish in the proper shade of ivory. Careful work with the nail polish will result in a near-factory appearance.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you both. For both the panels in front and top you suggest medium walnut? Thats Mohawk too ?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

No, not the top. The top gets all Extra Dark Walnut, as do the sides.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you. Cant wait to get it done this spring.

Sorry, I have one more question.

I looked at the color chart for the Ultra Classic and they seems much lighter for both the Extra Dark Walnut and Medium Dark Walnut than the tone finish versions (which look a closer match to me). I am looking at it on a laptop, maybe the colors aren't coming through that way they should?

My finish seems original, and there is little if any grain showing. I am trying to match without stripping only where the edges are flaked. Would the Ultra Classic be that dark?

Steve

Mohawk's color charts leave a lot to be desired.

I have used Extra Dark Walnut in both Tone Finish and Ultra Classic. Both are just as dark. In fact there is little difference between the two...only since Ultra Classic is dye-based instead of pigment-based, it allows a little bit of the grain to show through if you only use a coat or two. After multiple coats, it is just about as opaque as Tone Finish.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

this is multiple coats of Ex DK walnut

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I don't think you want the grain on the dark part to show imho; not very pretty grain...just the front walnut panels. I used an ivory "craft" paint for the pin striping.

Attached Files Image(s)

Art, that is beautiful. Well done!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)