Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

A 70 cabinet

Warren covered it pretty well, but if the base plys need re-gluing you'll want to pick up some clamps at Lowes, HD, or Harbor Freight. Once you get the base removed you'll have a better idea of what needs to be glued and what size clamps to buy.

I like to use a long blunt needle and syringe to inject glue. I use some old glass syringes but they are getting hard to find. Something like these but with a twist-lock for the needle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-10ml-syringe...0816491569

I think you might find working with wood cabinets enjoyable.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Oh...I got clamps. Not sure they are right size....but got a few. Bought them when was gluing things inside the 37-116.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Base-Moulding-fo...43c6010e69

Just found this. This is NOT Steve Davis? Or is it his?

What is the difference between one piece and two piece trim and which one is mine? Or does it even matter?

It looks like you will need the two piece for an exact match. There are actually two pieces, one is flat, and the other is moulded. They are stacked on top of each other and mounted to the cabinet. Compare them to your photos. The one piece doesn't match yours.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Ebay two piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-70-Cathed...43c600efa6

Yep looks like two pieces.

Does that mean I have to buy three sets or one set is long enough to cut for the full trim?

I just bought a set, yes they are Steve's, you get all 3 sides but you have to cut them yourself because as Steve told me one radio may have slightly longer trim than another.

Morzh, if you purchase that trim, be sure to ask Steve how well it takes toner. Most "new" wood that I have added to cabinets had to be sealed before toning. Otherwise, the new wood just soaks up the lacquer like a sponge. Steve will be able to guide you on how to make the trim match your cabinet when you start to add a finish.

Tab is correct, there is a lot of variation in Philco cabinets. I could cut and fit a set of trim to a cabinet that I have here but, it would be a miracle if it fit Mike's cabinet. My suggestion would be to take the cabinet and trim to a cabinet shop. It would take less than ten minutes and would probably cost less than buying a miter box and saw. Also you would likely get a better fit with a power miter saw.
It is always a good idea to use sanding sealer before the toner.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve

Thing is, I do have a power miter saw Icon_smile
And I am not aware of any cabinet shop nearby. Those that are around are in fact showrooms for some factories. I doubt they'd be interested to cut two miters for me.
I could cut it myself, that much I know how to do, considering the power miter saw.
I never refinished anything. This is what I am afraid of.

Maybe this cabinet is a good one for a learning project as the base in a pretty sorry shape and the radio is done electrically. It won't go fast, so I could combine some baby step woodworking with full steam ahead HP fixing and then other radios that do not require cabinet fixing.

Just put that bid on eBay. For a two-piece trim set.
OK, here we go. (Boo-hoo!!!)

Good Luck. Icon_e_smile

Don't be afraid. Refinishing is easy. The final result is very rewarding. It is a no pressure job, because you can always start over. Also, lacquer is very forgiving and easy to work with. I am still amazed at the professional looking results from a spray can.

OK. Received the base kit yesterday.

Now, step #1 - what do I do? Cut it to size?

Yes, cut it to size... are you refinishing the whole cabinet, or just the trim pieces?

dont just cut it... Icon_wtf
Measure it, mark it, check it.
In his AD he says he allows for a mistake or 2 so you should have some extra for any issues but make sure you dont cut an inverted 45 when it should not be and all the seemingly simple things that people screw up. cutting a bit too long is Icon_thumbup cutting a bit too short is Icon_thumbdown
Where are all the darn pictures???

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6